Feeding Vampires

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Feeding Vampires

Post by gr81 »

I got finaly two A. Gabonesis. They are "fanning" water, and time to time got something to eat. Bit Is it enough? I don't see something swim in water. and they are so huge. Also frosen artemia, they don't eat. Should they eat hatched life artemia?
How do you feed them?
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

They do filter micro-organisms and organic decaying matter out of the water, but it is hard for most of us to know if there is sufficient food available.

For my "bamboo" shrimp, I have made a blend of high quality flake food (Omega One) and frozen brine shrimp cubes which I have ground into a fine powder. I put a tiny pinch of it in the tank and let the filter's water circulation move it around the tank.
Cicci
Egg
Egg

Post by Cicci »

i have 4 A. Gabonensis: they doing very well, i put a cube of frosen cyklops in the tank every day that they like very much.
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

Do you put it to water flow, or normaly on ground? My are very shy, hiden under wood whole day. But when I put flakes on ground at evening... morning is all clear :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

The powdered food should flow in the current and the shrimp will catch it with its fanned arms. Do you have any other fish, shrimp or snails in the tank with these two shrimp?
Cicci
Egg
Egg

Post by Cicci »

Mine were very shy in the beginning but know they are everywhere in the tank. They are not afraid at all and i have many fish in the tank that not bothered them. The cyklops i just put in the water. I have very much flow in the tank. :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You guys might want to read the additions I made under No. 4 in the FAQ in the articles section. You can read about my experiences and opinions/recommendations on filter shrimp feeding there.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

I like these shrimps(look at my username) but don't have the space to keep them. But after looking at Mustafa's article, maybe I could try out Asian bamboo shrimps. Seriously, this shrimp hobby is addicting!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

After a while you will get bitten by the shrimp bug, welcome to the club :-D