Need a Little Help

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Need a Little Help

Post by Newjohn »

Hello
I received 12 "Rainbow" Shrimp , about a month ago.
I have been waiting for them to settle in and color up.
I have been trying to get a few good pictures for the last week.

And when I tried to get a Picture of the last Species I needed, To my surprise she was berried.

Sorry for the bad pictures.
Can anyone tell me what she is ?

Here are the other species

John
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

I'm a noob, so I can't really comment on what they are, but I wanted to complement you on some lovely and apparently very healthy shrimp. Here's to hoping you have something interesting in there. :-D
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Berried looks like a Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis.

Not sure about the next ones, the light green ones look like the green shrimp I have seen though.

You probably already new all that... :?

TKD
Pea-brain
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pea-brain »

Buying "rainbow shrimp" is like a goody bag. You have no idea what it is till you get it, but you hope you got something good! Looks like you didn't do too bad! At least it wasn't one of those diseased, die the next day goodie bags! :D

Sadly I can't help you, though the green one just might be a green shrimp, and the red one on the filter looks like a RCS
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi John,

I've had all of those shrimp species before at one point or another. They are all usually imported from India under various names (including "rainbow" shrimp). The green and the red shrimp (next to the last picture) are the same species. This species is very interesting and I had a colony of them going strong until this summer when a big disaster hit all of my shrimp colonies....

Anyway, they are usually green, but a very different green from the "green shrimp" that we already know. I have a few pictures of these guys lying around and I'll see if I can find any. So, normally they are green, but they *can* change their color when they want to camouflage and turn red. However, they can also turn red when they don't feel that well.

The blackish and the orangish shrimp might actually be the same species, too, especially if they have very small eggs. These guys usually come as "by-catches" and never in really large numbers.

The problem with these species is that some of them might actually interbreed. I have some reason to believe that after seeing some very unusual looking offspring after keeping all of these shrimp together for a while. The only problem about trying to separate them out by species is that the males of most of these species almost look the same...i.e. they are see-through. The best way to separate the species is to speparate out the ovigerous females and hope that the right male fertilized her.

Anyway, good luck with them and try to get as many colonies established as you can. :)
Last edited by Mustafa on Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

Your berried one does not look like the berried one I use to have. The eggs on my rainbows were much smaller.

Good luck with them.

Jason
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

This is a very bad picture.
I am still trying to get a better one.

She is a Pale Orangish Brown.
I just hope that out of the 3 males I received, the one that mated with her was her own species.

John