A few questions on setting up a cherry shrimp tank....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

A few questions on setting up a cherry shrimp tank....

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Hi! I want to set up a 6 gallon cube tank with cherry shrimp, but there are a few thing that I want to know beforehand.
1. Does the tank need a cover? The tank didn't come with one so it means that I have to make my own if so
2. Is a hang-on filter good enought for filtration? It gives off a strong current but it doesn't really bother the shrimps, right? And in order to prevent baby shrimps from being sucked in, should I put a piece of sponge filter over the tube?
3. Do I HAVE to use Co2? If not, what plants do you recommend?

I have kept the wild species of cherry shrimp in the past, but they ended up as fish food...Whoops pretend I didn't say that :-D
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Okaaaaay...Sorry, After reading Mustafa's article, I got to know lots of things. Which leaves me with one question; Does a shrimp tank need a lid?
ramsvella
Egg
Egg

Post by ramsvella »

strictly speaking: NO

If your shrimp stay jumping out of the water it means that:
a) Your water parametrs are not adequate
b) temperature too high
c) You have other fish in the tank that are chasing your shrimp
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

For the most part ramsvella is correct. I would add a cover/lid just to keep the tank insulated and the water temperature from fluctuating. An easy to make cover can be made from a styrofoam sheet cut into the size and other dementions you need. Materials can be bought at an arts and craft store or you can find them in used paking boxes almost anywhere.

Hope this helps and best widhes with your new tank.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I don't use lids, but this means a lot of evaporation. I have to add water (R/O) mid week to stay full.
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Shrimp tank lid

Post by bulrush »

From what I've actually seen, RCS jump out of the net when netting them much more often than they jump out of the tank itself. So I have learned to put my hand over the net after I net the shrimp, and before I take the net out of the water.

Last week I found a shrimp stuck to the glass above the water level. I flicked him back into the water and he was fine. Otherwise, I find no shrimp bodies on the floor.

I have had RCS since March 2006, and I now have 3 10g tanks with just shrimp. One tank has a full cover, one has a half cover, and one has no cover. Usually when they are startled they do not get enough speed to break the water surface tension. Plus they multiply so fast that you will never run out of RCS given the rate they do jump out without a cover.

In short, don't worry too much about it, it's not critical. I think there are other fish that jump out more than RCS. If it makes you feel better, get a cover or make one out of plastic. You might find some plastic corrugated board at an art store or some plexiglass (acrylic) at a hardware store. I just happen to have a lot of acrylic lying around so that's what I use for covers. I drill one 1 inch hole in the top to put my finger in and grab the top to pull it out.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

The only time I had a shrimp actually climb out of a tank it involved an amano shrimp. It was a new addition and had been acclimated to the new tank for over an hour. It probably did not like the new water conditions and left the tank. I found it dead on the carpet about 20 feet away from the tank :( Another lesson learned.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Oh yeah, what kind of filter do you recommend? I was thinking of using a hang-on with a sponge filter sponge over the entrance so it won't kill baby shrimps.
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

That can work, but remember putting a sponge over the intake will slow down the filter, ie decrease the gallons per hour, so you might want to use a slightly bigger filter. Personally, I just knuckled under and got a sponge filter and airpump, works like a champ. You can also make your own sponge filter, it could cost a lot less that way, especially if you have parts lying around already.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Make a sponge filter? Tooooooo noooooooisy. I'll just use a bigger filter.

How densly should I plant the tank? I was thinging of a piece of wood with lots of Java fern.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

How densly should I plant the tank? I was thinging of a piece of wood with lots of Java fern.
Not too dense if you want to see your shrimp. This is a shrimp only tank so there is no need for plants to serve as hiding places. You may also want to add some brown leaves on the bottom.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Thanks for all the advice! I also wanted to keep Neolamprologus brevis in this tank but I'll have to but another one for them...
Neonshrimp, so a single piece of wood with Java fern is okay? I'm assuming the adults don't eat they're babies? And the leaves I'd better wait. There's piles of snow here and all the leaves, well, everything is too soggy to consider :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

First of all, it is not advised to keep fish with the shrimp. Fish will often harrass and kill the shrimp by physically attacking them or by stressing them. Also, if you ever have baby shrimp they will most likely be eaten by the fish. It really does not make a difference what size the fish is since most fish can bite :(

The wood with java fern will be okay. Cherry shrimp, being a dwarf shrimp, will not eat their young. You don't have to add leaves, it just provides more microorganisms for the young and even adults to eat. I also use java moss for the purpose of microorganisms as well as a secure place for them to hide. Best wishes and please keep us updated.
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Just a word from the Killie people:

Java moss is a great plant for fry tanks, and we, of all the "sects" of the aquarium hobby, have been in love with the stuff for decades. But, the sad truth seems to be, after many indepedent corraborations, that it is pretty poor as home for microorganisms. It provides shelter for fry, but as a rule it doesn't hold anyhwere near the amount of microscopic life we thought. The AKA has actually gone so far as to update the superlative Beginner's Guide to reflect this in its most recent edition.
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

double post?