Trying to identify a few shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Rainbowfish
Egg
Egg

Trying to identify a few shrimp

Post by Rainbowfish »

Hopefully I can post these correctly. I'm pretty confident that the one is Neo palmata so I'm really interested in finding out what the Macro is. I'm thinking Rusty but... The second macro was sold to me as a whisker shrimp. Also I swear I've seen this red shrimp with the white stripe before but I've clicked till my fingers are sore :-) trying to find that image again.
Hope you can give me a hand.

thanks,

Gary

badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Welcome to the forum!
Taake my advice with a grain of salt and wait for one of the real experts like Mustafa to give you the straight skinny.

#1 is some type of macro species, probably a rusty.
#2 looks to be a wild type Neocaridina denticulata from which the RCS are derived.
#3 may be a Palaemonetes, but the jury is out, heck its just me. Could be some sort of macro too.

Great pics! You'll fit right in.

Read the rules so you don't get embarrased. Mustafa runs a tight ship. This isn't like any other forum I've seen.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

hello Gary,
Welcome to the forum.

nice pics, i will not be able to help you alot for the macro species , but i will say like badflash on :

and for #3 look like the shrimp we are all try to ident :)

like badflash said , wait for our shrimp guru to give fine answer :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the forum. Isn't that Macro picture the same picture you sent me for identification last spring? I believe it is...in that case the ID I gave you back then is still the same, unless the shrimp has mutated of course :wink: ...I still think it's a shrimp related to the red claw macro. The red claw macro is part of a species complex (i.e. several closely related species) that is widespread in south and southeast asia.

It's not a rusty macro...the rostrum just does not fit. Also, that's a male in the picture and by that size a rusty macro should be a nice brown color. I thought you had gotten rid of these shrimp.....do you still have them?

The second picture is one of those indian shrimp that comes in as "rainbow shrimp" once in a while....as we all know by now several different species are imported as rainbow shrimp.

The third is Macrobrachium lanchesteri or a closely related species. This shrimp are sold as "ghost shrimp" in asia...basically as feeders like our native Palaemonetes paludosus.

The last picture is some kind of Necoaridna sp. Yes, Werner (who is also here in the forum) identified some shrimp that had that orange parasite in them as N. palmata, but that does not mean that every Neocaridina that gets imported with that parasite is actually a N. palmata. So without further close-up analysis it's not easy to say which species of Neocaridina you have on the picture.
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi Gary, hi all!
Mustafa wrote: The last picture is some kind of Necoaridna sp. Yes, Werner (who is also here in the forum) identified some shrimp that had that orange parasite in them as N. palmata, but that does not mean that every Neocaridina that gets imported with that parasite is actually a N. palmata. So without further close-up analysis it's not easy to say which species of Neocaridina you have on the picture.
Full agreement with this statement, Mustafa!
Could be N. palmata but must not be.

Without any doubts the prawn on the first pic belongs to the M. hendersoni species group. Most probably the developed male on the pic is M. assamense. But, due the leght ratio of the carpus and merus of the second chelipeds couldn´t recognised on the photo a clear separation from M. dayanum and M. henderodayanum couldn´t be made.

The dwarf shrimp on the second pic ist probably a female of either N. heteropoda or N. palmata but this has to confirmed by a microscopical examination.

The eggbearing female on pic 3 shows some resemblance with M. lamarrei lamarrei. But there are some close allied species which can only separated on basis of the sexual appendages of adult males. (M. lamarrei is very distinct in this character).

Just my 2 cents
Werner
Rainbowfish
Egg
Egg

Post by Rainbowfish »

Thanks Mustafa and Uwe for the suggestions on the ID. I'll post below a closer photo of the first shrimp from the "M. hendersoni" group/red claw macro. You get a little better look at the second chelipeds in that shot but still might not be enough. I'm also posting a scan of the male for photo #3 (M. lamarrei lamarrei or) or as Mustafa suggested Macrobrachium lanchesteri. He was really skiddish so I never did get a good photograph of him and his first pleopod. The last picture I'm posting is not related to the previous shots. It's of a Macrobrachium that we caught in the Lake Sentani area in Papua (Irian Jaya) in a very hardwater fast running stream just a mile or so from the ocean. The stream also contained some pretty neat nerites. I think I'm going to have to check into seeing how to legally bring back snails and shrimp the next time I go :-) Any guesses on this shrimp?

Image (red claw macro/M. hendersoni group shrimp)

Image M. lamarrei lamarrei or)/Macrobrachium lanchesteri.

Image Macro shrimp from New Guinea
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi Gary
And Welcome to this Forum.

It would be Nice, If you could bring back a Few Inverts.
When you are collecting Rainbows.

There are not alot of people, that can say , they have collected what is in there Tanks.

John
Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Veneer »

Rainbowfish wrote:The last picture I'm posting is not related to the previous shots. It's of a Macrobrachium that we caught in the Lake Sentani area in Papua (Irian Jaya) in a very hardwater fast running stream just a mile or so from the ocean.
It looks like a Macrobrachium lar.
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi once again!
I'll post below a closer photo of the first shrimp from the "M. hendersoni" group/red claw macro. You get a little better look at the second chelipeds in that shot but still might not be enough.
Hhmm. Even on this photo the lenght ratio of merus and carpus couldn´n be estimated. Shape and lenght of the rostrum and the number of teeth on the lower margin is like in M. assamense. But it´s not definitely this species.
I'm also posting a scan of the male for photo #3 (M. lamarrei lamarrei or) or as Mustafa suggested Macrobrachium lanchesteri. He was really skiddish so I never did get a good photograph of him and his first pleopod.

Anyway the distinct character of M. lamarrei, a long appendix masculina reaching to or overreaching the distal end of the endopod is on the SECOND pleopod. I think it´s no M. lanchesteri, because the fingers of developed males are coveret with brushes of short, stiff hairs in this species. There are no hairs on your picture. Also the live coloration is somewhat different in M. lanchesteri.

The large Macro on your 3rd picture could not be estimated because it´s a female. But like veneer I think it could be an M. lar.

Cheers
Werner