How much Java Moss is too much?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

n00dl3
Egg
Egg

How much Java Moss is too much?

Post by n00dl3 »

Hi everyone,

I just started a tank with just RCS. My question is how much java moss is too much? At the moment, it is a 5.5 gal tank for work purpose, I would say about 60%-70% is filled with java moss. The RCS are doing great and even reproducing. Well tried to reproduce.

Last week, I had a female RCS carrying a bunch of eggs. But as she was swimming around the tank, she got caught on the java moss and all her eggs are gone :( . Should I cut back my java moss to like 30%-40% or even less? and add a java fern?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Should I cut back my java moss to like 30%-40% or even less? and add a java fern?
I think about a baseball sized amount of java moss would be enough to provide the babies with shelter. If you have too much moss in the tank it outcompetes the microorganisms for nutrients, and you want to have microorganisms for the shrimp to feed on. I would also recommend starting a leaf litter on the bottom of the tank, use the search option to find out more about this.

Hope it works out for you :wink:
n00dl3
Egg
Egg

Post by n00dl3 »

Neonshrimp wrote:
Should I cut back my java moss to like 30%-40% or even less? and add a java fern?
I think about a baseball sized amount of java moss would be enough to provide the babies with shelter.
I have about two baseball size in it now... I didn't know how much the tank needs.

Leaf litter... can i use any kind of leaf or special kind of leaf? Does the leaf sink by itself?
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

The leaves will sink after a couple days. Most people use oak leaves since they are readily available and don't disintegrate too quickly.

I use Magnolia leaves, but any non-toxic leaf that is not too delicate should work fine.

Older leaves do not have too much residual sugar to cause a bacterial bloom, so look for leaves that are very dry and have been on the ground for a good while.
n00dl3
Egg
Egg

Post by n00dl3 »

YuccaPatrol wrote:The leaves will sink after a couple days. Most people use oak leaves since they are readily available and don't disintegrate too quickly.

I use Magnolia leaves, but any non-toxic leaf that is not too delicate should work fine.

Older leaves do not have too much residual sugar to cause a bacterial bloom, so look for leaves that are very dry and have been on the ground for a good while.
Thanks... now i gotta look for dry leaves too...
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

They should be readily available in any park or even a sidewalk under a tree :) Just make sure they have not been exposed to pesticides :!: