A few questions on setting up a cherry shrimp tank....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for that update of information :) Is there any information on the amount of microorganisms present in different media?
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Neonshrimp wrote:First of all, it is not advised to keep fish with the shrimp. Fish will often harrass and kill the shrimp by physically attacking them or by stressing them. Also, if you ever have baby shrimp they will most likely be eaten by the fish. It really does not make a difference what size the fish is since most fish can bite :(

The wood with java fern will be okay. Cherry shrimp, being a dwarf shrimp, will not eat their young. You don't have to add leaves, it just provides more microorganisms for the young and even adults to eat. I also use java moss for the purpose of microorganisms as well as a secure place for them to hide. Best wishes and please keep us updated.
Oh, I see what you mean. I was saying that I originally wanted to keep brevis in the tank, but after looking at the shrimp, I've decided to keep these instead. Besides, I don't think brevis LIKE a 6 gallon tank, so I'm gonna get them a 10.
Thanks again! I will update.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Another question: Can I keep them in a tank with a high water flow? Also, can I keep them with bamboo shrimp?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Can I keep them in a tank with a high water flow?
Cherry shrimp and other algae eating shrimp do not like high flow, but you can provide an area of high flow as long as there are low flow areas where the shrimp can find refuge.
can I keep them with bamboo shrimp?
Yes you can, as bamboo shrimp are harmless to other animals in the tank. Also, bamboo shrimp use high water flow to filter food particles in the water :)
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Neonshrimp wrote:
Can I keep them in a tank with a high water flow?
Cherry shrimp and other algae eating shrimp do not like high flow, but you can provide an area of high flow as long as there are low flow areas where the shrimp can find refuge.
can I keep them with bamboo shrimp?
Yes you can, as bamboo shrimp are harmless to other animals in the tank. Also, bamboo shrimp use high water flow to filter food particles in the water :)
Thats good to hear. I'll just add a stable piece of driftwood so they can hide under. After setting up the tank(its cycled) I'll add some cherrys and Java fern, then the bamboo shrimp and let the fun begin!
By the way, if I had a bigger tank, could I keep vampires with the cherries? :D
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Oh yeah, has anyone heard about or used glass dip tubes? It would be nice to catch shrimp and fish fry without much stress and without gushing them :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

By the way, if I had a bigger tank, could I keep vampires with the cherries?
Yes you may, as they are as harmless to tank mates as the asian filter feeders. But since they grow to be 6 inches or more you should plan for such growth :wink:
Oh yeah, has anyone heard about or used glass dip tubes?
I have one made of clear plastic that works with such ease, even with my quick amano shrimp :) I will pm you where I got it from.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I wouldn't keep more than maybe 2 "bamboo" shrimp in a 6 gallon tank.

I keep moss in both of my shrimp tanks. They seem to like picking aorund in it (in my tanks: shrimp is to moss like human teenager is to the mall), so I leave it in.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I wouldn't keep even one in a 6 gallon. Most places I've seen and my own experience is that you need 10 gallons per shrimp.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

badflash gave better advice than mine.

*Me must drink of more coffee.*
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

(in my tanks: shrimp is to moss like human teenager is to the mall),
Excellent and TRUE analogy, hahaha :lol: !
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm running a test in several tanks. One has just oak leaves, another has just java moss & java fern, a third has hornwort.

Right now the javaa moss/Java fern tank is out in front, with the leaves not that far behind. The hornwort tank produces very few shrimp, but seems great for ghost shrimp & crayfish.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks badflash, that is very useful information :!:
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Okay, thanks for all the information! So a piece of driftwood with Java fern and Java moss would be okay in my tank :D And maybe if I had a 30 gallon tank, I could keep all three species together. Maybe like this;

12 cherry shrimp
4 bamboo shrimp
1 vampire shrimp

I'll keep my hopes up, maybe I can get it!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Re-read the water parameters needed for these shrimp in the shrimp varieties section. Cherries do better in hard basic water vs. the others for soft acidic water. Driftwood also tends to make water acidic.