A few questions on setting up a cherry shrimp tank....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

My experience with bamboo shrimp tells me that they also do well in hard basic water.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I am find that most of the shrimp I keep are pretty adaptable to different water condtitions. But they all require CLEAN water conditions.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Yeah, Neonshrimp, I'll try to overfiltrate my cherry tank. By brother also is bitten by the shrimp bug and he wants to keep CRS. Right now hes busy posting on the Korean shrimp forum(he doesn't do much English) The CRS are very delicate and require lots of filtration, right? How much is good enough for CRS?
By the way, for the decor in my cherry tank, do you think it would work out if I aquascaped like a marine tank? With dead corals, barnacles and coral sand. And since the shrimp are brightly colored, it WOULD look like a marine tank! :lol:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Cherries do best in the pH range of mid 7's. Add too much rock and you go way over that up to the mid 8's. The shrimp do fine but the babies don't and the females don't berry up much. If you want a tank for looks, you need to have a production tank too. Cherries like an ugly tank to do best in. You can them move your "show shrimp" to your "show tank", but the "show tank" will always have problems. My best production tanks are ones that I don't see shrimp until I change something in the tank, then I find hundreds of shrimp.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

For my CRS, I try to do water change (actually syphoning waste) at least twice a week. I use a turkey baster to which I attach a plastic pipet to get deeper reach when clean/syphoning my tank. This has worked well so far. I also top off the tank with clean water every day since I use a fan for temperature control :wink:
By the way, for the decor in my cherry tank, do you think it would work out if I aquascaped like a marine tank?
If you try this please us plastic/artificial items as the real thing will disrupt your pH and hardness of your water :!:

Please let me know what the Korean shrimp forum is like, I am just currious about what the content is :-D
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Neonshrimp, if you read the line under that, I clearly stated that I'm gonna use dead/ fake ones! :P I'll try to find the forum, but I don't think you'll be able to read a word of it.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

By dead, it sounds like real coral to me which can raise the pH. Also, I was just curious about the Korean forum and wondered what you thought of it. Thanks.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Could you feed this to filter-feeding shrimp?

Just curious :-D
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I wouldn't bother with those "reef bugs". First, they are salt water micro-organisms that will be unlikely to survive and grow in freshwater. Second, they are really expensive for a small amount.

I make my own powdered filter shrimp food by grinding a mixture of high quality flake, freeze dried brine shrimp, and crab/crayfish pellets into a fine powder.

Just a tiny little pinch on the water surface every few days is all I give them. It doesn't cost me a thing since I already have the other foods in my cabinet.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Asian_Vampire....there are NO commercial links allowed in the forum. Please read the rules again to avoid further transgressions. Thanks.

In the future you can just link the picture of the product you have a question about. I have done that for you in your message above.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Gee, Neonshrimp, I didn't think much about it so I guess thats my only two cents :)
And Mustafa, it's really nice to talk to you...I guess this site is different from Cichlid-Forum :-D I'll never do that again. Thanks for politely pointing that out...Some people are really mean about other people's mistakes. And after I return from skiing, I'll buy some shrimp, and let the fun begin!
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

There's piles of snow here and all the leaves, well, everything is too soggy to consider
The leaves should be soaked in water (not the tank) for about a week to leach out the tannins. I use a glass bowl, and change the water when it becomes dark brown. Soggy leaves are fine, they'll sink right away.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I use this same method to soak my leaves in dechlorinated water and it works very great. You cn actually see the water turn brown/yellow from the tannins. I use my leaves when the water stays clearer in the glass.
Gee, Neonshrimp, I didn't think much about it so I guess thats my only two cents
Hey Asian_Vampire, you are making me feel bad :( I really did not mean to be mean when I was explaining what I was thinking :-) .
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Hmm I gathered some leaves today Im going to have to soak them too :D

And Neon, I didn't get your PM for some reason :? But I got the e-mail notifying me that I id, so can you just answer me here? lol Thank You.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I just sent you another pm, hope you get it this time :? .