Actually witnessed a CRS molting!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Actually witnessed a CRS molting!

Post by Neonshrimp »

Not more than 30 seconds ago I just witness one of the neatest shrimp experiences I have had since I started in the hobby :!: I just saw one of my CRS molt right on top of the sponge filter.

I first thought it was attcking/fighting with another shrimp but then the other shrimp was white. Then it looked bazaar as the shedding shell was actually stretched to the point where it looked like rubber :o , looking like the alien popping out of an abdomen from the Alien movies :shock:

The shrimp then broke through the back of the molting shell by standing straight up and stretching. The old shell just popped open like a baloon and the shrimp just ploped out :D The shrimp had a hard time standing for a few second and looked like it wanted to hide inbetween the ridges of the filter. It then swam off and I started to post this experience.

Wow, I always wanted to watch a shrimp molt and heard of other hobbyist's experiences but never did untl now :-D Please let me know if you have had the same experience. Was it the same as I described?
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Wow sure sounds like an amazing experience! I never actually thought of it but it must really look like an alien coming out of someone elses body :D That is really cool, I hope to witness this some day. I'm going to look for some videos, it must be hard to get it on camera but it's the internet :D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I've seen triops, amanos and M. Rosenbergii, but never cherry shrimp or bamboo. They are more secretive when they molt. Looks pretty much like you describe. It is amazing.

What I find the most magical is the period right after the molt. Their new skin is sort of folded up under the old and it inflates to make a bigger shrimp. Until it does they are pretty much helpless.
Gregor Samsa Mendel
Larva
Larva

Post by Gregor Samsa Mendel »

Some months back, I caught a couple of my red cherries molting and mentioned it here. To me, it always looked like the shrimp was sneezing itself out of its old skin. It happens very quickly.