Someone claiming to breed Amano Shrimp in Freshwater

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Someone claiming to breed Amano Shrimp in Freshwater

Post by DatDamWuf »

over on the Dwarf Puffer forum a user is saying she has amanos breeding in "hard" fresh water. I told her we'd all want to know if this is happening and how and I asked for pics, she posted these.

here is one:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q279 ... _0082a.jpg
and 2: http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q279 ... _0086a.jpg

I've asked for clearer shots but I'm wondering what ya'll think? They don't quite look like amano to me, but I'm hoping she will post a clearer pic per request. She is quite good at photographing her fish so I am hoping she'll give us a better pic soon.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

These are not amanos. Someone probably sold them to them saying they were amanos, but clearly they are not. These don't even look remotely like them.

Here is what an amano looks like:

This stuff happens all the time. I just had someone on aquabid sell me ostracods as moina. A lot of people take no time to verify what they have. The shrimp pictured in your link appears to have a larval stage judging by the size of the eggs, but lots of fresh water shrimp do that. Check the shrimp varieties page and you'll see.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Interesting, they are nice looking shrimp whatever they are. I am still wary after so many claims and no real proof. Is this person someone who is respected on the forum? I guess we can wait and see the proof as it is produced. Thanks for bringing it to our attention :-)
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

Those shrimps she has in her pictures (or in her tank) look more like the wild type Neocaridina species. She is full of it. :roll:
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

She may have bought them labelled as amano shrimp by an ignorant seller. Some people think all algae-eating shrimp are amano's... :roll:
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Hey, those look like the freshwater shrimp here in Korea! They are extremely close relatives of the cherry shrimp and breed in the same way. I bred them once; it was easy :-D And I didn't do anything special; the woman probably thought they were amanos and tried to make a good enviroinment for them ion hard water. She's just mistaken 8)

(I'm sure, I hope!)
Urkevitz
Egg
Egg

Post by Urkevitz »

Reminds me of another person claiming to breed Amanos in fresh water. Pictures were taken of the juveniles, and they ended up being Scuds.
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

thanks guys, I'm not too expert on identifying shrimps myself, appreciate the help.

I too thought they looked more like Neocaridina but they are rare.

Unfortunately the person has not posted a response to anyones questions or provided any new pics.

The poster has made some other statements without adequate evidence (IMO) and when anyone wants to discuss such statements has resorted to "the hell w/you" type comments or ignored the thread so she may never respond on this topic again.

Having learned here the difficulties and reqs for breeding Amanos I simply wanted to be able to either confirm her claim which would be very cool, perhaps a new sub species...and stop dis-information being provided to new aquarium/shrimp enthusiasts. ie; quote: "And yes, Amano shrimp do breed in fully freshwater. I breed them all the time in my planted tank."
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks again for posting the information and pictures :) . This was a very interesting subject but ended as another debunked claim :roll: .
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

well an other story on that .... :lol:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

People are just extremely stubborn and do not like it when they are proven wrong. That's closed-minded to the max and those people will never learn. That's why she is not responding. Being proven wrong is actually a good thing as someone is teaching you something you did not know.

In any case, the shrimp are clearly a Neocaridina species...most likely a N. denticulata of some sort (because it is most widely spread).

Badflash...what you see in the picture are not eggs...those things are just on the shell of the female. I have no idea what they are, but some individuals display them sometimes. They are also only visible under certain light conditions sometimes (as in pictures with flash).

As always I'll add the obligatory comment: "I have yet to see any proof of Amano shrimp breeding in freshwater."
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Mustafa wrote:Badflash...what you see in the picture are not eggs...those things are just on the shell of the female. I have no idea what they are, but some individuals display them sometimes. They are also only visible under certain light conditions sometimes (as in pictures with flash).
I don't think I said anything about eggs, but of course you are right. I just wanted to show them a clear picture for comparison.

BTW- Welcome back, at least for now.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

badflash wrote:
I don't think I said anything about eggs, but of course you are right. I just wanted to show them a clear picture for comparison.

BTW- Welcome back, at least for now.
Thanks for the welcome. :) Look right under the amano shrimp picture in your post above. You did say something about eggs. :wink: There you say:
The shrimp pictured in your link appears to have a larval stage judging by the size of the eggs, but lots of fresh water shrimp do that. Check the shrimp varieties page and you'll see.
That's what my comment was referring to. None of the shrimp in the DatDamWuf's pictures are carrying eggs.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I see how that could be misunderstood. I wasn't talking about the picture, just the shrimp in general.
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

Mustafa wrote:People are just extremely stubborn and do not like it when they are proven wrong. That's closed-minded to the max and those people will never learn. That's why she is not responding. Being proven wrong is actually a good thing as someone is teaching you something you did not know."
Thanks for that note, I feel the same way. I always try to post all sides of an issue because there are so often gray areas and I am really glad to have this forum and others where we can learn from each other. I am not so much concerned when someone is stubborn on their own, but it bothers me greatly when they make statements to others as fact and those people may make a mistake based on that.

and of course, welcome back! LOL