A few questions on setting up a cherry shrimp tank....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If this is a post in another aquarium forum and you make a link directly to your post, that is usually acceptable as long as it is not related to buying or selling something. What is not welcome is links to aquabid, ebay, etc. People have linked to auctions asking about what sort of critter this is, and that isn't allowed.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

badflash wrote:If this is a post in another aquarium forum and you make a link directly to your post, that is usually acceptable as long as it is not related to buying or selling something. What is not welcome is links to aquabid, ebay, etc. People have linked to auctions asking about what sort of critter this is, and that isn't allowed.
Okay, thank you badflash :)
In that case here is my RCS Tank Journal :) Sorry if I got a bit off topic! :oops:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I see you updated the thread today with some great pictures :D . I will keep shecking it out to see what happens.

RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:I see you updated the thread today with some great pictures :D . I will keep checking it out to see what happens.

Thank you, I'm glad you are enjoying it :D
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Okay, since I have almost finished organizing my tanks, it won't be long before the shrimp move in.

By the way, could a clump of java moss tied to a piece of real or fake driftwood do well in the tank? By brother says that they grow best with lots of light and C02 injection. I have a single 20V bulb over the tank, would it provide enough light?

Gee, this thread has become quite a post!! :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Good to hear about your tank :-)

Java moss will grow well with light (20W is fine) and even better when attached. Make sure you know if the wood is safe before using real driftwood, I had an accident with my snowball shrimp recently :( My java moss grows beautifully because of the light and the water flow.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Yeah Java Moss is one of the easiest if not THE easiest plant to grow in an aquarium. The light requirements can range from anywhere from low to medium or even high lighting. But it should do just fine in your setup. I should be getting my own Java Moss about Monday or Tuesday 8)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Just to back up what RESguy said, I actually threw out some java moss once and it actually continued to grow on the moist soil where I dumped it. Good thing because I need some moss later and used this moss again :lol:

RESguy, hope you enjoy your moss and let us know how it and your tank does (Nice journal on the other site though).
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:Just to back up what RESguy said, I actually threw out some java moss once and it actually continued to grow on the moist soil where I dumped it. Good thing because I need some moss later and used this moss again :lol:

RESguy, hope you enjoy your moss and let us know how it and your tank does (Nice journal on the other site though).
Wow, that is amazing! It sure is a very hardy plant :shock:

And thanks Neon, I will be sure to let you know :) I also recently found out that a plant growing in my backyard is amphibious meaning it can grow in both dirt with no water and in an aquarium! I have almost as much of that plant as I do grass! I believe it is an invasive weed here in South Florida. It's name is Hydrocotyle Verticillata , I think the common name is PennyWort.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Okay...Thanks for all the posts! By the way, could I keep the shrimps over coral sand as a substrace? If not, I'll just take it out but it would be more comvenient.
Also, some amazing news. On of my shrimp crawled out of the breeder net into the fry tank! I thought he was a gonner but he's doing FINE! The aggresive cichlid fry don't bother him!

I'll keep posting! :-D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Asian_Vampire wrote:Okay...Thanks for all the posts! By the way, could I keep the shrimps over coral sand as a substrace? If not, I'll just take it out but it would be more comvenient.
Also, some amazing news. On of my shrimp crawled out of the breeder net into the fry tank! I thought he was a gonner but he's doing FINE! The aggresive cichlid fry don't bother him!

I'll keep posting! :-D
Wow that is amazing! But don't get too confident keep the rest of your shrimp in the breeder ;) And I'd get the little escape artists back in too if I were you, before the Cichlids figure out their new friend is quite tasty ;-)
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Yeah, I caught him and put him back in the net. My brother put a lot of java moss in the net, and I'm gonna order some Java fern today. It's not going to be long! :-D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Asian_Vampire wrote:Yeah, I caught him and put him back in the net. My brother put a lot of java moss in the net, and I'm gonna order some Java fern today. It's not going to be long! :-D
Great News :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Most of my tanks have the slow growing java moss and java ferns which the shrimp seem to enjoy :) . Best wishes and let us know how things go.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

The Java ferns arrived, so I put them in the fry tank. I'm thinking of wrapping it around a piece of fake driftwood or some lava rock. Gee, I'm trying to sell the adult cichlids and their fry, but no one seems to want them. So before I sell them, this is going to take some time... :(