My shrimp/invert rack system

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

badflash wrote:Nice!
Look into a flow through drip system. This is espesially important for the tanks low to the floor. Cuts your water change time to ZERO and keeps the tank parameters constant except when you need to do a major cleaning every couple of months.
Thought about the drip system, but decided againts it. I had the bad experience of having a friend'sd kid drip something in one of my 10G tanks and killing most of the shrimp. If I have a centralized system and something like this happens, it will be devastating to all the shrimp.

Remember this thing is in a room in the house and not a basement.

-Pedro
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

TKD wrote:I would also suggest some clear Plexiglas covers for the tanks as it will reduce your evaporation. Make sure you get the thicker kind as it will bow less.

TKD
This is something I have been looking at. Evaporation is not that bad as I do weekly water changes.

-Pedro
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

Newjohn wrote:Hi milalic

That is a vey clean looking set-up.
Alot more pleasing to the eye, than my 2x4 Rack that I have :-D

Did you make the tanks yourself ?

As badflash stated
A flow through drip system will save you alot of time.

Thank You
For sharing Your rack set-up
John
A friend's friend got them custom made for me. :D
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

milalic wrote:
badflash wrote:Nice!
Look into a flow through drip system. This is espesially important for the tanks low to the floor. Cuts your water change time to ZERO and keeps the tank parameters constant except when you need to do a major cleaning every couple of months.
Thought about the drip system, but decided againts it. I had the bad experience of having a friend'sd kid drip something in one of my 10G tanks and killing most of the shrimp. If I have a centralized system and something like this happens, it will be devastating to all the shrimp.

Remember this thing is in a room in the house and not a basement.

-Pedro
Not sure what is meant when they say flow through drip system. Sounds like a central system with a water top off.

A true drip system is not a central system. The tanks are in no way connected. All water leaving the tank goes down the drain & not into a sump or other tank. A nice setup is called a Dutch sump. With drip nozzles above the tanks & very small 1/8 - 1/4" overflow tubes coming out of the tanks into drains. So every time a drop goes into the tank a drop goes out into the drain.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

CanadianCray-
That is what I am doing.

Water goes through a carbon filter and into a distribution system using drip irrigation emitters to limit flow to each tank. Each tank overflows to a sump and is overboarded. No tank is connected. I re-use some of the water to grow green water for my filter feeders and moina, but none gets re-cycled to the tanks.

Those plumber's nightmares I pictured maintains a constant water level without drilling your tank. The foam filters keep it from sucking up shrimp. The flow is so low that no one goes through the filters.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

CanadianCray wrote: A true drip system is not a central system. The tanks are in no way connected. All water leaving the tank goes down the drain & not into a sump or other tank.
that's exactly what i am doing.
no way i will have a central system, with all bad experience i already have with fish on central.
my actual concern is for my Hard water species , because RO will be too soft for them.
i am testing now the waste water (bad ouput from ro unit) as water for some hard water species.
i have a 6 stage RO unit and will be great if i can use the wast water for thoose species.
rigth now this water look like good , no clorine or cloramine, so i will see what it does.
i am planing for a 10G , put 2g by day.
do you have any comment on my concerns ?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

For every gallon of water the R/O unit makes, it throws away about 10 gallons of pretty clean water. This has already gone through the pre-filters so should be pretty clean and dechlorinated, but you should test it.

Depending on what your water company is using to treat your water, it could have some ammonia in it.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

badflash wrote:For every gallon of water the R/O unit makes, it throws away about 10 gallons of pretty clean water. This has already gone through the pre-filters so should be pretty clean and dechlorinated, but you should test it.

Depending on what your water company is using to treat your water, it could have some ammonia in it.
great
i am still lucky here they use Chlorine only .
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Yellow shrimp female with eggs

Post by milalic »

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Very nice :D ! Be sure to show us the babies when they hatch :-D
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

very nice
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

At to the rejection water from the R/O filter being used for Hard Water
Shrimp Species.

The PH of my tap water is 7.6 and the PH of the rejection water from the R/O filter is 8.6 and the Hardness also goes up.

Thank You
All of the Forum Members who have provided information on
rack systems and water change systems.
It makes setting up a new system alot easier.

John
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Like everyone else said, very nice :) I always enjoy seeing pictures of your Yellow Shrimp :) Can't wait to see baby pictures!