A few questions on setting up a cherry shrimp tank....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Asian_Vampire wrote:The Java ferns arrived, so I put them in the fry tank. I'm thinking of wrapping it around a piece of fake driftwood or some lava rock.
Use rubber bands to attach the java fern roots to the rock/driftwood. By the time the rubberband degrades and falls off, the plant will firmly attach itself.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Neonshrimp wrote:Just to back up what RESguy said, I actually threw out some java moss once and it actually continued to grow on the moist soil where I dumped it. Good thing because I need some moss later and used this moss again :lol:
Interesting. Where do you find moist soil in dry southern California? Was this somewhere in your backyard where you water plants on a regular basis? Java moss can and does grow emersed but only in very wet and humid environments near water, that's why I am a little surprised that it would grow in relatively dry southern California.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

There is an automatic sprinkler system in the backyard and it does keep the soil wet to an extent, but then dries up. Maybe the moss was able to absorb enough to keep going everyday.

However, I think Java moss is a very hardy plant because it has grown in just about any all conditions I have put it in :!:
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Hey guys, how about a CRS question :-D ? My brother was almost fully set up his CRS tank. He wants something to eat algae, and on no account is he going to put snails in(he DEPISES snails, can't say why :wink: ) I think a different species of shrimp would be okay. But the only species I could find were Rudolph shrimp and Amano shrimp. Which one of these eat algae better,and, most important of all, do not eat baby shrimp?

Just one more question :) He wasn't particularily happy when his first batch of Java moss was ruined by algae :wink:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm confused. What is going into this tank? CRS eat algae, what more do you need? If you have an acidic tank and more algae than they can deal with, there are big problems.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Asian_Vampire wrote:Hey guys, how about a CRS question :-D ? My brother was almost fully set up his CRS tank. He wants something to eat algae, and on no account is he going to put snails in(he DEPISES snails, can't say why :wink: ) I think a different species of shrimp would be okay. But the only species I could find were Rudolph shrimp and Amano shrimp. Which one of these eat algae better,and, most important of all, do not eat baby shrimp?
Ummm yeah ... CRS eat algae and so do most dwarf shrimp (like RCS and Amano) so I don't see why there should be much of an algae problem, if anything an algae blloom is a good thing because it provides free food ;) As long as it's not BBA.
Asian_Vampire wrote: Just one more question :) He wasn't particularily happy when his first batch of Java moss was ruined by algae :wink:
Argh, that wasn't a question.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

As long as it's not BBA.
I hate BBA, I hear Nerites will help with them :!:
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

RCSGuy wrote:
Asian_Vampire wrote:
Asian_Vampire wrote: Just one more question :) He wasn't particularily happy when his first batch of Java moss was ruined by algae :wink:
Argh, that wasn't a question.
You really know me :) The one more question was the one above!

Thanks for the replies. Right now he has 2 otocinclus and 3 Amano shrimp to combat the algae. I'm trying to tell him that otos would most likely eat the baby CRS but he doesn't listen :-D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Something I am experimenting with. It seems to be working. I take 1/8 tsp of potasium permanganate and disolve it in 2 gallons of declorinated water. I soak the plants in that for an hour.

It seems to kill all aglae, snails and worms, but only stuns the plant. It comes back fine after a few days.

Use a good declorinator like amquel or prime beofre moving it back. No purple or yellow water. Do lots of rinsing.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It seems to kill all aglae, snails and worms, but only stuns the plant. It comes back fine after a few days.
badflash, wouldn't you want to save your snails :? ? Besides that have you seen any adverse effects on the shrimp after this procedure? I am a bit wary when it comes to using or adding chemicals to the water.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

This is just to kill pond snails, their eggs, and hydra.

The PKP is eliminated by the dechlorinator. There is no resisdual effect once you get rid of the purple.

This chemical is used as a pond clarifier and in very low doses doesn't cause harm.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the clarification. I will try this with new plants because I am starting to have a snail problem it a couple of my tanks :roll:
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

My brother is so practical :lol: I keep telling him that otos WILL probably eat the baby CRS but he says, if the're going to get eaten, leave them to be. But he says hes giving me the amanos because they WOULD eat the baby shrimp. What should I tell him? He's a funny guy! Also, he says that CRS are lazy algae eater(they probably are!)
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I will try this with new plants because I am starting to have a snail problem it a couple of my tanks :roll:
I have common pond snails in my tank (10 at the moment) and I have heard that they can become a pest, but they look pretty cool, should I remove them? Or can I leave them in? (They have laid 3 eggs sacs so far).