A few questions on setting up a cherry shrimp tank....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

RCSGuy wrote:
Neonshrimp wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I will try this with new plants because I am starting to have a snail problem it a couple of my tanks :roll:
I have common pond snails in my tank (10 at the moment) and I have heard that they can become a pest, but they look pretty cool, should I remove them? Or can I leave them in? (They have laid 3 eggs sacs so far).
It is up to you, some find them to be an eye sore and others like them. The simplest way to control them is to control feeding. With less for they will not reproduce and with more food they will. I guess I have been feeding a little too much, thus the snail problem.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Pond snails are cosmetic and not a problem for the shimp. Any drastic action will hurt the shrimp more than the snails. This indicates that you are feeding more than the shrimp can eat.

Enjoy the snails or cut back on the food.

Find another critter that likes to eat snails and set up another tank.

Turtles and loaches come to mind. Be sure to set up ANOTHER tank or you'll not have any shrimp.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I keep ramshorn snails in all of my shrimp tanks. I like the look of them, but my clown loaches especially love eating them. I don't think there is a healthier food for clowns than snails.
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

YuccaPatrol wrote:I keep ramshorn snails in all of my shrimp tanks. I like the look of them, but my clown loaches especially love eating them. I don't think there is a healthier food for clowns than snails.
And puffers! :-D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Thanks for the replies guys :) I will leave them in ;) If I see there are too many I will add a few to the turtle's tank :) Though I think I will have to crush them first to feed ... Whatever :roll: Thanks again!

(Not planning oon setting up new tank just for that).
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Hey, my brother did it again. This time he got 4 Siamese Algae eaters(SAE) to eat black hair algae :? BUt he cleared his senses and said he was going to give my all the other things(Amanos, otos and the SAEs) After he gets the CRSs. :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hey, more shrimp for you :-D !
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Asian_Vampire wrote:Hey, my brother did it again. This time he got 4 Siamese Algae eaters(SAE) to eat black hair algae :? BUt he cleared his senses and said he was going to give my all the other things(Amanos, otos and the SAEs) After he gets the CRSs. :-D
Awesome! Enjoy the new shrimp and fish 8)
Asian_Vampire
Larva
Larva

Post by Asian_Vampire »

Okay......I got the algae eaters in my ten gallon, but I think I'll sell them They don't seem to like living in there. My brother received the CRS today, and he also got some BBS(Black bee shrimp) He says they are the same species and crossbreeding doesn't matter. I think he is sooooo wrong, isn't that? :?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Asian_Vampire wrote:Okay......I got the algae eaters in my ten gallon, but I think I'll sell them They don't seem to like living in there. My brother received the CRS today, and he also got some BBS(Black bee shrimp) He says they are the same species and crossbreeding doesn't matter. I think he is sooooo wrong, isn't that? :?
You can answer that question yourself if you look at their species descriptions. In general I would recommend that you do a lot more research on this website just as the rules require.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Asian_Vampire wrote:Okay......I got the algae eaters in my ten gallon, but I think I'll sell them They don't seem to like living in there. My brother received the CRS today, and he also got some BBS(Black bee shrimp) He says they are the same species and crossbreeding doesn't matter. I think he is sooooo wrong, isn't that? :?
The search function is your friend ;)
They will cross and the black will be dominant over the red of the CRS. In other words, you will eventually have more of the Bee shrimps than the CRS ;)