Tiny Shrimps in Giant Ponds

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Tiny Shrimps in Giant Ponds

Post by beckypyyeung »

Hi shrimp friends,

Hello ! I finally bought the Taiwan book I saw weeks ago. I've only read a few pages. It's so interesting to see how Taiwan people rear cherry shrimps in a commercial way. There are photos in addition to words. Wow, it turns out that the shrimps are kept outdoor in ponds and each pond is as big as half a standard swimming pool !! The workers (human beings) work inside the ponds and the water level is up to their chest level !

They use underground water to keep the cherries. They writer says that it can stablize the water temperature.

Really amazing. Will keep you all informed whenever I see anything interesting in this book :wink:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for sharing some of the information in the book :D The use of such a large amount of water to house the shrimp surely helps to simulate the natural environment of the shrimp. Did the book mention a filtration system used on the pool yet? Hope to hear more soon!
HylaW
Egg
Egg

Post by HylaW »

How do they keep from stepping on them!?
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Thanks for sharing this. That is so cool. I wish I had a shrimp pond. And like NeonShrimp said I am interested in how they filter a pond without harming the shrimp (giant sponge filter? :lol: )
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

If a pond of that size was cycled, and they have a constant fresh water supply comming into the pond. They probably do not use a filter.

It would be like a small stream running into and out of a small pond.

John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

How do they keep from stepping on them!?
I just hope the RCS know to get out of the way. I wonder how the workers get them off of them when they leave the pond (Spray themselves with water :? ).
It would be like a small stream running into and out of a small pond.
That makes sense, as beckypyyeung said "They use underground water to keep the cherries".
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Glad to see that so many shrimp friends are interested in my book report :D Here is some more information about your questions.

The writer didn't mention filters. It only reads :
(1) Get regular water change with underground water......
(2) Clear the aquatic plant every morning so that the plant can't occupy over 50% of the pond space......
(3) Giant pumps are used......
(4) These pools are situated in the south part of Taiwan, a hot area. A giant net is hanging over the pools so as to reduce the temperature for both shrimps and workers......

I don't know how the workers avoid stepping on the shrimps. I can only see that they're wearing plastic-like outfit. I had never imagined these tiny creatures can be produced like this. That's really Mass Production. Amazing :)
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

The article also reads:

Adults and babies live together. Sinking food is used every day, after that, tiny floating food is used so that the babies can get enough food to eat.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thank you for the information beckypyyeung, please keep it coming :-D !
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Sure. No problem. My pleasure :D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Yes thank you very much for that!

I think that by "under-ground water" they mean well water, which makes sense because it does not need any special treatment (i.e dechlorination). And these "giant pumps" must be water pumps that pump well water into the pond and are also used for the "regular water changes". Otherwise WCs would be a PITA! So my guess is that with these regular water changes they don't need a filter ...
That is my understanding of the information you gave us.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

The book reads:

Underground water goes into the ponds/ pools. There are holes and nets are covering the holes so that the little cherries won't be drained away when old water is drained away.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

If the shrimp were drained away there would be shrimp all over the area, free for all :!: I would like to see one of these ponds one day, hello Taiwan :-)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

beckypyyeung-
Off topic a little, but since you are living a lot closer than we are to where these shrimp come from, see if you can find out what they feed the blue shrimp to make them blue.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Good question, I would like to know too if you can find out. Also, keep looking for more information! Thanks again for sharing :D