Colorless C.simoni

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Daudin
Larva
Larva

Colorless C.simoni

Post by Daudin »

Hi all,

I have one colorless female C.simoni. I will try to cultivate it to the pure line (if the appearance has genetical background).

Here is photo of normal aminals from my population of C. simoni for comparation:

zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

Are you sure that you do not have a snowball shrimp and C. simonii? There are some sellers in Germany, that sell "Caridina simonii" and send a crude mix of different Neocaridina species, even A, desmaresti and only if you are lucky, there are C. simonii in there, too. From the shape of the body, it could be C. simonii, but why are the eyes black?

Took me a while to get a good strain of C. simonii.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's definitely not a snowball shrimp. Looks like a C. simoni to me, judging just from the body shape. This might be a similar mutation to that of the snowball shrimp.

Daudin, good luck with breeding it and please keep us updated with your progress.
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

It is not snowball shrimp. I keep the species/variety too. I know it very well. This is C. simoni or another relative species as C. propingua. This species is also available here in the Czech Republic (ADMIN: [commercial URL deleted] Please red the rules. Commercial links are not allowed.). At least they claim it is C. propingua. The female was born in my tank. It is F1 or F2 generation. Parental generation was pure. I am sure it was not mixture of different species. I separated female one month ago. But what surprise, today, when I searched for suitable male for the female in the tank with hundreds of the normal colored animals, I discovered another similar colorless and black eye specimen. Two mutated speciments in one tank is somewhat suspicious for me. Both animals behave normally. I hope the new discovered specimen is male. Just now, they are together in separated cycled tank. I will try to snap better photo of the female. I will keep you updated in progress.

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Daudin,

Please make sure to not post commercial links in the future. I have deleted it.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I discovered another similar colorless and black eye specimen. Two mutated speciments in one tank is somewhat suspicious for me. Both animals behave normally. I hope the new discovered specimen is male.
I too hope this is the case and you are able to breed more of the colorless shrimp :D Keep a look out for saddles, a tell tell sign that it is a female. Please keep us updated.
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

Mustafa,

I apologize for commercial link. I forgot it is banned on this forum.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Daudin wrote:Mustafa,

I apologize for commercial link. I forgot it is banned on this forum.
It's ok. No problem. Just keep it in mind for future postings. And don't forget to update us on your shrimp. Just a question...are these offspring of shrimp you have owned for a while or did you just discover these shrimp in a shipment of wild-caught animals?
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

I bought 30 speciments in october last year from another breeder here in the Czech Republic. These animals already were born in captivity. All 30 animals looked normally. Today I have hundreds offspring of these 30 shrimps. Among them I discovered the colorless speciments. I still try to discover another.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Among them I discovered the colorless speciments. I still try to discover another.
Sounds exciting, good hunting for something different :-D
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Daudin
C. simoni is a very looking Shrimp. And finding a possible color morph is also exciting for the Hobby.

John
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

Here are another photos of my wild colored C.simoni:

RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Nice, those C. simoni are very cool, and the morph you found looks awesome, sure beats Ghost Shrimp :lol:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Ghost shrimp are nice to look at too. What I like about the pictures just posted are the many females carrying eggs, "Oh Joy"! :-D
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

I discovered another two young colorless shrimps today :-). I immediately separate all colorless shrimps to the special tank. Just now I have four colorless shrimps overall. I continue to search...

My tank with colorless C.simoni: