What's with the wood?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

What's with the wood?

Post by Lotus »

I have been wondering what it is that shrimp like about driftwood. Both in my tanks and the ones at the LFS the shrimp really like hanging out on it (both amano and cherries). Does anyone know what it is they eat on it or what it provides for them?

By the way, I'm new to the forum, here's a little introduction about my tanks and shrimp. I have had shrimp (amano and cherry) for a while in various tanks, and just set up a 10g tank to breed cherry shrimp. This makes tank number 13 set up :oops: I have bred cherries in a 10g tank with endlers livebearer males and pygmy cories, but wanted them to have their own space. All of my adult shrimp finally died, but I have at least 20 offspring left. I think the nitrates in the shared tank were just too high for them.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: What's with the wood?

Post by Bradimus »

Lotus wrote:I have been wondering what it is that shrimp like about driftwood. Both in my tanks and the ones at the LFS the shrimp really like hanging out on it (both amano and cherries). Does anyone know what it is they eat on it or what it provides for them?
It is likely that the wood is covered in micro-algae and other foods the shrimp love.
Shrimpmania
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Shrimpmania »

My rainbow and cherries gathered in the same spot of a drift... definetly becoz of mirco algae on it
starrystarstarr
Egg
Egg

Post by starrystarstarr »

My shrimp also love hanging out on drift wood so I went out and bought some more for them.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Just watch your water parameters carefully. Wood can take your pH low very fast under the right conditions. It may also leach nasty stuff into the water.

Aged hardwood leaves are a lot safer.
Invader_Xan
Egg
Egg

Post by Invader_Xan »

Yeah, wood develops a thick layer of biofilm. Very nutritious if you're a small crustacean. Mopani also tends to grow a white mould on it, which my amanos seem to find delicious. :)
starrystarstarr
Egg
Egg

My ph has stayed the same so far 7. I would like to increase the ph level just a tiny bit.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Locate some crushed aragonite gravel. Most stores that support salt water fish carry it. A couple of handfulls (well rinsed) will push you up half a point. Watch for it to dissapear and replace as needed. It disolves over time.
starrystarstarr
Egg
Egg

Thank you for sharing :D I haven't had the chance to go to any pet shops since my car was getting fixed.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Sharing is what this group is all about. The hard part is asking the right question, sort of like in Irobot.

You ask the question, if we know it, we'll answer it. You might get a slap if you didn't do a search first though :-D

The info in this forum is amazing. Those "slaps" keep th noise to a bearable level so the search can actually pull up info.
apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

I have been breeding ornamental shrimp for about three years now and it did not take long to realized they have a strong affinity for wood substrates. I suspect there are many reasons for their preference for drift or waterlogged wood.
1. Shrimps have a stong instinct to have a firm feet holds and would, however smooth it may appears provides the micro-profile to assure them a firm anchoring grip while feeding.
2. Wood substrate does promote a diverse microecology of edible microorganisms andcrevices tha zoae can seek safe shelter and food allin one.
3. It is a natural material present in abundance in the hydrological habitats they have evolved and specialized to take advantage of.

I have my highest productivity in my shrimp tanks that have been provided the most wood in addition to aquatic plants and algaes.

I'm sure there is even more than these few points I have not thought of that are involved.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I just received a good-size chunk of driftwood with several java ferns attached. Obviously, it has spent some time in an aquarium already, and the shrimp had a ball cleaning it thoroughly. The dwarf cray's seem to like it as well, I've seen several climbing around on the new addition to their world.