C. babualti

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Leonard
Egg
Egg

C. babualti

Post by Leonard »

I've started a 24l/6g tank 2 days ago. In the weekend I'm going to buy some Red Cherry shrimps and put in it. Later I'm also going to put some kind of C. babualti in the tank together with the other shrimps.
Now it's around 1ppm NO2, is that a too high amount for shrimps? Of course I'm goind to do everything I can to make the NO2 level at 0! But will the first shrimps suvive in 1ppm NO2?
My other vales in the water now is pH 7.8, KH 6, temp. 26C. I belive that's right with these shrimps.

Which kind of C. babualti is best to start with (this is first time I keep dwarf shrimps)? I hope I can find the blue or green ones, but which one is most sensible? No different maybe..
How do I see if the blue shrimp (in the store) is a C. babualti or not? Bright eyes is one example, but if I can't see the eyes, how do I do then?

Any other info about C. babualtii? Easy to breed and keep small shrimps?
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

Just curious. How can you measure 1ppm nitrate? The tests available in Germany have a lot wider scales, like in steps of 10ppm. And 10 is already difficult to tell apart from 0.
pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

I cannot answer for Leonard, but lab suppliers sell colorometric kits that can measure even lower than that. If you do an internet search for "LaMotte" and refine to include only test kits or water quality, you should come up with several suppliers.

These kits are quite a bit more expensive than the standard hobbyist kits, but can be worth it if you're keeping extremely sensitive species. I use a LaMotte O2 kit to keep DO up to par in my pleco racks, and have been very pleased with the results.

I could place a link here for a US company that sells them, along with a lot of other cool lab toys, but don't want to push the limits with the commercial links rule. If a moderator or administrator wants to PM and authorize it, I'll provide the link.

In the mean time, I hope this helps.

Larry Vires
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

thanks a lot, that does help. I will look for it.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

1 ppm nitrate is no problem. These shrimp are slow to breed and difficult, but not impossible.
Peter
Egg
Egg

Post by Peter »

I ppm No2 is a problem, its enough to kill the shrimp, even more so with newly introduced shrimp, (No2 being nitrite), N03 is nitrate which of course would be no problem at 1ppm. Any Nitrite is a big problem for shrimp make sure the tank is fully cycled with zero No2 before adding any shrimp.
Good luck with them when you get them.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Peter, you are correct. 1 PPM nitrite is bad. I read too quickly. The tank isn't completely cycled with that level. Nitrites should not be measurable.
Leonard
Egg
Egg

Post by Leonard »

Thanks for these fast answers! =)

I use JBL's tests and 1ppm NO2 was the highest amount on the scale in my test, 10ppm sounds very much!

To morrow I'll do a 50% water change and add Zeolith to my little filter, too make all N "dissapear".
It's not just a shrimp and snail tank, I also have it as plant tank and the plants'll miss the NO3, but if I just use Zeolith for a while I think it's okey anyway :)
I'll repport later on!
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

zwergkrebszuechter wrote:Just curious. How can you measure 1ppm nitrate? The tests available in Germany have a lot wider scales, like in steps of 10ppm. And 10 is already difficult to tell apart from 0.
i think you are make confusion between nitrate NO3 and nitrite NO2
most of test kit will give you the 1ppm of NO2 and even less.

Lamotte rock.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: C. babualti

Post by Mustafa »

Leonard wrote:Which kind of C. babualti is best to start with (this is first time I keep dwarf shrimps)? I hope I can find the blue or green ones, but which one is most sensible? No different maybe..
How do I see if the blue shrimp (in the store) is a C. babualti or not? Bright eyes is one example, but if I can't see the eyes, how do I do then?
There is no "blue C. babaulti" in the hobby. It's a myth created by someone in Germany who has no idea about shrimp but a high profile. In fact, the green shrimp is not C. babaulti either. It was described as "Caridina cf. babaulti" because it looked almost like a C. babaulti under the microscope without really being one. In other words, we still don't know what species it really is...it's probably undescribed.
Leonard
Egg
Egg

Re: C. babualti

Post by Leonard »

Mustafa wrote:There is no "blue C. babaulti" in the hobby. It's a myth created by someone in Germany who has no idea about shrimp but a high profile. In fact, the green shrimp is not C. babaulti either. It was described as "Caridina cf. babaulti" because it looked almost like a C. babaulti under the microscope without really being one. In other words, we still don't know what species it really is...it's probably undescribed.
Opps :oops:
But the green ones like the same kind of waterquality as babualtii, and that's actually the first thing who matters to me right now =) I've never had dwarf shrimps before, so the shrimps should like alkaine water (pH 7.8, KH 7). Then I thought "babualtii" (even if it isn't) and CR would do fine in that water.
But thanks for the info! :D Sweden shall be informed of this :P

Their comming home: http://bp0.blogger.com/_u1fGoxLr_9s/Rjo ... -h/139.jpg
Tomorrow I'll get my first RC's :-D