Crayfish Questions (Dwarf Cajun and Blues)

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mothi
Egg
Egg

Crayfish Questions (Dwarf Cajun and Blues)

Post by Mothi »

I am thinking of getting some dwarf cajun crayfish but wondered what size tank is needed. How big for 5, 10, 15?

I am also thinking of getting some blue colored crayfish (it's own tank of course). How big a tank do I need for these per crayfish? Adult size tank that is since it is best to plan ahead. Which is the best colored blue crayfish. The Florida blue crayfish (procambarus alleni)?

I have tried doing some search for information on crayfish, but a lot of times I get articles on their impact on enviornment, them cooked for eating, etc. Hard to find information just about keeping them as pets. If anyone has any good caresheets other than the one found on this site please let me know. I am finding crayfish quite interesting pets.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm just getting started with Cajuns myself. I just got 9 from Mustafa today, 100% live arrival. I'm putting them in 3 separate 10 gallon tanks with Amano, cherry shrimp, and baby apple snails. I don't like tanks under 10 gallons as they get unstable too easily- just not enough reaction time.

I've not kept larger crays, but do keep M. Rosenbergii Prawns. The formula I use for them is 120 square centimeters for each centimeter of body length. A 10"X20" 10 gallon aquarium has ~1300 square centemeters, so that would be good for one 4.5" cray.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

You can usually keep a pretty good number of dwarfs in a 10gallon tank. As far as the Larger Blue crayfish prob (Procambarus alleni) I usually recommend 10gallons per adult cray.
Mothi
Egg
Egg

Post by Mothi »

Okay, so how many dwarf cajun is suitable to start off with for a 20g long tank? Is there a density issue for feeding and what is the maximum limit so I can stay well below that.

For Florida Blue Crayfish, how many can I keep maximum in a 150g tank that is about 6 feet long by 1.5 feet wide? Also, I am finding problems noticing the difference between procambarus alleni, orconectes immunis, and Procambarus clarkii (blue). How can I tell? The ones I was looking at that I liked were near $20 each at 2-3" long. I suppose they cost more from a chain petstore than direct from a breeder.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

In a 20 gallon, you could start out with 10 or so animals as long as you provide ample hiding spaces for every animal. A combination of Java moss covering most of the bottom and Najas covering the top has proven to be a successful setup for these guys in my case. That way they can take advantage of the space in the tank in all 3 dimensions instead of just utilizing the ground. Once your animals produce young, though, you will have to either expand, or try to sell/exchange the young to/with other hobbyists. These dwarf crays can be very fertile under the right conditions . Make sure you perform regular water changes (start with 50% once a week and adjust according to your particular situation). and don't overfeed (kills water quality).
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

This is an old thread, but I wanted to update based on experience of breeding the ones I have from Jason (Fish World Erie). Be sure to get ONLY tank bred, not wild caught. I can maintain at least 30 adults in a 20 gallon tank with upwards of 50 juvies. Once the juvies are 1/4" to 3/8" move them to better digs.
Last edited by badflash on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the advice, I will be following it!
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

badflash wrote:This is an old thread, but I wanted to update based on experience of breeding the ones I have from Jason (Fish World Erie). Be sure to get ONLY tank bred, not wild caught. I can maintain at least 30 adults in a 20 gallon tank with upwards of 50 juvies. Once the juvies are 1/4" to 3/8" move them to better digs.
Why ONLY tank bred?

-Pedro
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Wild animals, in my experience, don't make the transition to captivity very well. Most will die. Tank bred animals, especially ones that have been raised multiple generations in captivity, have already been selected for survival in a captive environment.

I had no luck at all with wild caught Cajuns, even after I was using a well aged tank. Now I have babies all the time, and the babies have babies. I'm in the 4th generation now.
apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

Although I have been keeping dwarf cajun crays going in only a 4.5 gallon tank I do have issues related to the lack of space and limitations for hiding places for their young. I will feel better after I get them going in a 20L.
It is much harder to maintain the water quality in such small tanks but I only had 4 make it from my original six. I weighed the problems of small tanks againt wanting the few crays encountering each other enough to breed regularly. It has been difficult to expand the colony. I had developed a little surplus and tried and failed to get the new set ups to take off.

I think I will try the larger tank and then order more so I have 10 or 12 crays to begin with. I really think the larger tank is the smart way to go.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Get 2-10 gallon tanks and a 20 gallon long and keep the males and females in separate tanks. When you want to breed them, remove all the hides from the male's tank and drop in a female. The first capable male see sees will flop her right over. When they are done move her to a nursery tank (20 gal long). Once she releases her little ones in a month or so, put her in the girls tank.

This makes it easy to breed your best ones, and keep track. This also assures the girls get a rest between hatches.