Preparing leaf litter

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Preparing leaf litter

Post by Suzie Q »

I tried searching, but I just don't know "what" to put as a search...
There are several Magnolia trees around my neighborhood, and my neighbor has oak trees...I know that the oak trees are not sprayed with any toxic chems, and 1 of the magnolia is not either...my question is...how do you prepare leaves for "leaf litter" in a shrimp tank? I have a lot of plants, and would like to remove some for a leaf litter bed for the shrimp (RCS). If someone could let me know what this search would be under, I am very willing to do the search myself.

Thanks guys,
Lori
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

http://www.petshrimp.com/articles/keepingshrimp.html

I hate to be a pain but this is part of rule 4:
4. Before posting any questions or comments you MUST perform a search in the various forums AND check the "shrimp varieties" page AND read ALL of the articles in the "articles" section of this website.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi Lori

When you use the search, try using the :
Search message text only.

Instead of:
Search topic title and message text

And use displayresults as:
Post and not Topics

I just did a little research and after doing this desided to lend a helping hand.

Make sure that the leaves are brown and dry.
The nice crisp ones.

If you are worried about and critters hitching a ride into you tank.
Put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. this will kill anything on the leaves and make sure that they are nice and dry.

Then soak them in water and do daily water changes until the water is nice and clear.

This may take up to 1 week.

I hope that this helps
John
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

Newjohn wrote:Hi Lori

When you use the search, try using the :
Search message text only.

Instead of:
Search topic title and message text

And use displayresults as:
Post and not Topics

I just did a little research and after doing this desided to lend a helping hand.

Make sure that the leaves are brown and dry.
The nice crisp ones.

If you are worried about and critters hitching a ride into you tank.
Put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes. this will kill anything on the leaves and make sure that they are nice and dry.

Then soak them in water and do daily water changes until the water is nice and clear.

This may take up to 1 week.

I hope that this helps
John
Thank you John, for your help...I put in "leaf Litter", "prepare leaf litter", "leaf litter bed"...and ever other way to mix and match those words that I could think of, so I am not sure why I could not pull up anything. It only gave me "not found" or something like that.

Shrimp&Snails...unless I missed this article (I read all the articles when I first joined), it was the articles that made me interested in creating a leaf litter bed for the shrimp. I will re-read it to see if I just missed something.
Thank you both,
Lori

Edit: Shrimp&Snails...I did miss the part about preparing the leaf litter...it is there (as a matter of fact, this IS the article that made me interested in getting leaf litter. Please accept my appologies for not seeing it earlier.
Lori