new book

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

new book

Post by zapisto »

A new book is on his way and available.

I post that not to make any publicity , but just as information.
i have nothing to do with the authors of book or site
thanks
A new book on freshwater shrimp will be published by the Crusta10 team on 22.06.2007!

The new book covers all feshwater shrimp species known in the aquarium trade until now. Detailed informations on biology, systmatics, taxonomy and distribution of atyid (Caridina, Neocaridina, Micratya, Potimirim, Atya,..) and palaemonid (Macrobrachium, Palaemon, Palaemonetes, Democaris, Coutierella, Euryrhynchus,...) shrimp are given.

Aviable in German language only.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

I guess I need to learn to read yet another language.
mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by mikedmatthews »

why? you got pictures and a latin name. i'm thinking about getting it just for that.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

It's not nearly as difficult to read another language as it is to speak (coherently that is). I'm interested in the information that's in the book. I can already read/speak English ;) and Spanish. I can kludge my way through reading Portuguese, Italian, French, and Swedish (to an extent).

It'll take me a few months to learn German, but, since I'll be motivated to learn the vocabulary, I should be able to do it.
pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

German isn't that difficult, and actually shares a lot of roots with Swedish. The most difficult part is the way a lot of words are run together. I've yet to see a textbook or software that can prepare you for that. At times, it can seem like an entire sentence is in one word. With that said, the publications and information in online forums are well worth the time it takes to learn. I've learned things on german forums that I would have never figured out if not for a very basic understanding.

Larry
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Also keep in mind that English is a Germanic language.

I guess living 3.5 years in Germany has finally paid off. LOL
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Looks to be an interesting book - I'll probably pick it up.

Mustafa, are you still working on a book?

Personally I am working on a few articles and profiles.

(Yep, I'm back....sortof. I have had injurys to both my arms, which makes typing painful. I'll drop by when I can.)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ah..finally Werner and Andreas came out with their book. It's been in the making for a long time. Should be a good one. Congrats Werner and Andreas! (Werner is actually a member of this forum and stops by once in a while, so he might see the congrats. :-D )
The Fisherman wrote: Mustafa, are you still working on a book?
Yes, of course...constantly. :) My book will be different though, not so much focused on species but more built like a "bible of shrimp keeping" type of very comprehensive book focused on literally all aspects of the hobby (breeding, keeping, behavior, habitats in the wild, water chemistry, food, etc. etc.....literally everythying you could think of). It's going to be a book that's going to follow the citation method used in scientific papers and monographs so that people can look up all the papers I use to back up my information. But at the same time it will be kep "simple" enough that not so scientific hobbyists can greatly benefit from it. In other words it will be a book both for hobbyists and scientists. :) It's going to be a book based on both personal experience and scientific methods/precepts/papers.

Since it's going to be so comprehensive (and probably very, very thick so I don't have to update it so frequently) it will take quite some time to finish it though. So, don't count on it coming out within a few months ;).
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Mustafa wrote:Ah..finally Werner and Andreas came out with their book. It's been in the making for a long time. Should be a good one. Congrats Werner and Andreas! (Werner is actually a member of this forum and stops by once in a while, so he might see the congrats. :-D )
Yes, of course...constantly. :) My book will be different though, not so much focused on species but more built like a "bible of shrimp keeping" type of very comprehensive book focused on literally all aspects of the hobby (breeding, keeping, behavior, habitats in the wild, water chemistry, food, etc. etc.....literally everythying you could think of). It's going to be a book that's going to follow the citation method used in scientific papers and monographs so that people can look up all the papers I use to back up my information. But at the same time it will be kep "simple" enough that not so scientific hobbyists can greatly benefit from it. In other words it will be a book both for hobbyists and scientists. :) It's going to be a book based on both personal experience and scientific methods/precepts/papers.

Since it's going to be so comprehensive (and probably very, very thick so I don't have to update it so frequently) it will take quite some time to finish it though. So, don't count on it coming out within a few months ;).
Awesome! I already can't wait for it to be finished. :)

I like you're approach, that it will be for both scientists and hobbyists.

I look forward espeacially to the habitats in the wild. I am always interested in finding out what my shrimps or fishes natural habitat is, and try to replicate it in the aquarium. For example, my current project is a amazon river biotope.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Mustafa wrote:Ah..finally Werner and Andreas came out with their book. It's been in the making for a long time. Should be a good one. Congrats Werner and Andreas! (Werner is actually a member of this forum and stops by once in a while, so he might see the congrats. :-D )

Will be in english?

TKD
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

TKD wrote: Will be in english?

TKD
Yes, of course (since I live in the US that would be logical). But I'll probably bring out a German version, too, (later on) so the German hobby can benefit from it, too. :)
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

The book is still showing unavailable at amazon.de. Has anyone been able to get the new book yet?
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi!
pixl8r wrote:The book is still showing unavailable at amazon.de. Has anyone been able to get the new book yet?
The book was shipped to the online book stores yesterday. So it should be aviable now also at amazon.de.
Alternatively you can get the book from the publisher:
http://www.aquaristik-online.de/index_buch_neu.asp

Cheers from Austria
Werner
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I usually don't allow commercial links on this website, but I'll make an exception this time since the book comes from a good source. :)
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Mustafa wrote:but I'll make an exception this time since the book comes from a good source. :)
Thank´s for the exception Mustafa! :smt023

Cheers
Werner