Shrimp Quarantine Protocol

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Shrimp Quarantine Protocol

Post by The Fisherman »

Well, I searched the forum and could not find any definitive answers.

With all fish aquariums, it's always best to always QT EVERYTHING. You never know what parasites might be on the new plant, whats in with that snail..etc. etc.

Is it necessary to quarantine shrimp, that would be going into an invert only tank? (Shrimp, plants, snails, and corals, in the case of a SW tank)

For example, if I had an already existing shrimp tank, would it be wise to quarantine new arrivals of say, amano shrimp, or ghost shrimp purchased as feeders, before introduction into the new tank?

I don't know, it just feels awkward not to QT a new arrival...

Thanks,

-John
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If you are getting juvie shrimp to frshen up the gene pool, let them grow up in their own tank before cross breeding. I found out the hard way that you could be getting a pig in a poke. I got a bunch of wild browns and it screwed up my tanks for about 6 months.

I've never gotten any sort of disease, but have gotten planaria.
Jep
Egg
Egg

Post by Jep »

badflash wrote: I've never gotten any sort of disease, but have gotten planaria.
Hi Badflash. What did you do to get rid of the planaria please? I had noticed some almost microscopic white worms at the sides of my CRS tank. I stopped feeding the shrimp with flakes and pellets and gave them only live algae from another tank. After a couple of days, loads of planaria came up out of the substrate (Under gravel filtration) and I introduced a couple of tiny longfin rainbows, who seem to enjoy browsing for food. As far as I can see, the problem has been cleared for the last few days. Do you think I'm successful, or might I see another outbreak if I remove the rainbows? Many thanks.

Regarding quarantining John, I have never had to do so, because I always have bought from the same supplier and have let him quarantine them for me. I would say that if you have the facility to do your own quarantine program, then do so.

Best wishes.
John.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I don't think biological control does any more than control and those rainbow will enjoy the shrimp. I've tried a variety of things to control planaria and nothing short of a full break-down of the tank ever works, then they come back when I put in plants without thinking.

I am trying a product call Prazi-Pro that appears to be safe for inverts. It takes at least 2 treatments 5 days apart. The 1st treatment all but eliminated them. So far so good. I'll report back in the "other inverts" section.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Hmm, yes it does make sense to quarantine new genetic material.

I didn't think it was necessary, but I was curious about what other people do.

With fish it's wise to quarantine EVERYTHING that comes into the tank.

But I guess with shrimp, there really aren't 'contagious' diseases.

Good to know. I like to see the shrimp in the main tank right away. :-)

-John
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

The Fisherman wrote: But I guess with shrimp, there really aren't 'contagious' diseases.
Probably exists, we just dont them yet , hobby is still young
The Fisherman wrote: Good to know. I like to see the shrimp in the main tank right away. :-)
-John
like fish , i never do that :) i really afraid of planaria.

badflash : try "fluvermal" , destroy planaria (and snail unfortunetly) but dont touch the shrimp
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Good points Zapisto.

It will be interesting to see if any contagious shrimp diseases/health issues surface as the hobby grows.

-John
apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

I'm I understanding correctly that treatment of a shrimp tank with vermifuge drugs such as praziquantal and flubendazole has been found to be safe with shrimp?

I have used flubendazole powder to control Hydra with great success ans it does kill snails which is fine proving there are not so many that their corpses pollute the tank.
I haven't tried these drugs to control planarians. It would be nice if they work with them. They are primitive worms and I was under the impression these drugs would kill planarians.
Planaria are basically harmless but are strong indications that overfeeding is an on-going problem.

There definitely are shrimp specific diseases so quarantine is not a bad idea although we really don't know much about the diseases of shrimp let alone any treatment modalities.