help id this shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

help id this shrimp

Post by zapisto »

help id this shrimp :

Shot at 2007-07-12

Shot at 2007-07-12

Shot at 2007-07-19

Shot at 2007-07-19

Shot at 2007-07-20

Shot at 2007-07-20

Shot at 2007-07-20
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

All I can say is you'll soon have some berried shrimp. ;) I've no idea what species they are though.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Looks like a Neocaridina sp. What's the origin of these shrimp? That may clarify things further.
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

Mustafa,

can you distinquish between Caridina and Neocaridina by the photo? Do exist some eye noticeable and genus specific traits? Thanks for reply.
pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

I saw a similar shrimp for sale yesterday by the common name "white back shrimp". I know common names don't help, but it's all I've got.

Larry Vires
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Daudin wrote:Mustafa,

can you distinquish between Caridina and Neocaridina by the photo? Do exist some eye noticeable and genus specific traits? Thanks for reply.
Yes, I can. That's because I have seen thousands and thousands of shrimp of various species, among them many species of Neocaridina. It's hard to point out the exact differences....I could do it, but you might still not see the differences since they are so minute. It's like trying to explain the difference between a goat and a sheep (originally sheep have horns too by the way just like goats) or a horse and a donkey or a cow and a water buffalo. They look very similar and you may mistake them if you are not used to seeing these animals. But as we see more and more of each species we "automatically" know the difference at some point without having to think about the exact differences. That's the case with me and shrimp. :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

pleco_breeder wrote:I saw a similar shrimp for sale yesterday by the common name "white back shrimp". I know common names don't help, but it's all I've got.

Larry Vires
If this is the whitebanded shrimp which may be imported as whiteback shrimp, then there is absolutely no relation. As I said above, unless you have seen thousands of shrimp over a few years it's going to be very hard for you to figure out the differences and similarities.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

i will try got the origin of those ones.
consp51
Egg
Egg

Re: help id this shrimp

Post by consp51 »

I have this shrimp too. Question, can you breed this shrimp in fresh water tank?

Thanks

felix
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi Felix
And welcome to the forum

If you have the " Same " type of shrimp as Zapisto has posted pictures of, than yes the young will survive in fresh water.

John
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi zapisto

have these Shrimp bred for you ?

Is the color of these Shrimp Tan / Brown ?

John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the pictures zapisto. I have to ask you what substrate is that in your pictures? I like it :-D