feeding RCS

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Good job, Larry. Looks like things are starting to normalize.

Cactus...mosquito larvae are probably to mobile to be eaten by red cherries. You may just end up with a bit fat mosquito that will suck your blood. :-D Macros, on the other hand, would have made short work of the larva in a matter of seconds.
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

I guess I'll be fishing out any I see out for a tank with fish then.
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

RCS do not seem to be hunters like ghost shrimp or macros, so I do not think RCS will chase after, nor catch, a mosquito larva. Better to feed it to your fish.

Also, there are other larva which look just like mosquito larva on casual inspection. One is the midge, which does not bite at all. Midge larva are often (but not always) red and are also called "bloodworms". "Bloodworm" also covers some other aquatic insect larva and worm type creatures.
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

Yeah, there was another one in the tank a little later, and although the cherries would pass very close to it while scrounging for food, they did not seem interested at all.
I'm pretty sure they are mosquito btw, I examined them very carefully under a magnifying glass, and compared them to pictures I found online.
All of it's features were identical.

I don't have any macros right now, but if I can catch it, I'll feed it to my ghost shrimp or fish. I'm not really fond of big fat mosquitoes in my house...