Update/adding salt to my H. rubra tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Black Beard
Egg
Egg

Update/adding salt to my H. rubra tank

Post by Black Beard »

A few months back I was in the process of setting up a tank for H. rubra using a 3G picotope tank with a gravel substrate, volcanic rock, and brackish water. At that time I had a hard time establishing a cycle, so I took the tank down and made a few changes. Now I'm using a 10G tank with a black sand substrate, volcanic rock, a sponge filter, and a hood with a 15W fluorescent light. This time I started the tank as a fresh water tank, and it began to cycle in about 2 weeks. The cycle is not quite established since the nitrite levels need to come down, but ammonia is being depleted :D . I plan to add salt to the tank when the cycle is fully established (as recommended in other posts) to reach a SG of 1.010. What would be the best way to add the salt, gradually or all at once? If the salt is to be added gradually at what rate should it be done?
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

In your case, since you have a small tank, I would do it gradually. Divide the salt up into 3 parts, dissolve 1 part in some tank water, and add the part slowly over the course of 1 day. Therefore, if the salt is in 3 parts, it will take 3 days to add it all in.

That's what I do for my brackish tanks.
Black Beard
Egg
Egg

Post by Black Beard »

Thanks. I'll try that.