Help ID grass shrimp ulcer/disease

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Pugio
Larva
Larva

Help ID grass shrimp ulcer/disease

Post by Pugio »

I have some P. paludosus grass shrimp and one was carrying an odd-looking red ulcer on its shell for at least 3+ days since I noticed it. This shrimp seemed to behave normally and I was waiting for it to molt to see if spot went away - 'lo and behold I came home today and saw same shrimp very much dead. When it was alive the red ulcer had a thin black border. No fish in tank; no recent trauma; no other shrimp noted to have this. Here's 2 views:

Would appreciate any help with this, esp. if it's infectious. Thanks folks!
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

One of the ghost shrimp in my latest batch had this EXACT same thing. I don't know what it is either, but it doesn't seem to be contageous -- the ulcerated shrimp was in quarantine with one with one of those intestinal worms, the ulcer shrimp died on about the fourth or fifth day, but it's buddy never got the ulcer. Eventually passed the worm and the shrimp is still living happily in my tank.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Not sure exactly what it is, but it's most likely a bacterial infection.
Pugio
Larva
Larva

Post by Pugio »

Thanks - I haven't seen it on other shrimp yet. I assume the shrimp arrived with it and I missed it at an earlier stage. Interesting to hear it was on someone else's ghost shrimp. Reminds me to keep better quarantine measures - jeez.
Pugio
Larva
Larva

Uh-oh

Post by Pugio »

Found another P. paludosus with an "ulcer" today. Kinda worried :( as you can see one of my orange shrimps in the background.

Not sure how helpful the low power micrograph is. Ulcer again appears at the junction of two abdominal segments. Not sure how to control this if a bacterial infection.

marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

Maybe you could try Melafix? Supposedly it is shrimp safe, I know it is snail safe but have never tried it on shrimp. Isolating any sick one/s is probably a good idea too.