New to crayfish, help with ID please

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

New to crayfish, help with ID please

Post by Ecir »

Hi, I've had my shrimp tank for ages now(haven't posted in a long time though) and the other day I bought an "Electric Blue Lobster" I think it kind of looks like Cambarellus Shufeldtii but am new to crays. Is there a Cray Varieties page I don't know about?

In the picture you'll notice he's missing a lot of legs, he's missing one on one side and three on the close side I'm not sure what kind of fish were in the tank at the LFS but he's in a tank with an apple snail now. He likes to hide in his temple but if you look inside he'll charge you with his claws out.

Any info would be appreciated, more pics to follow soon!

Ecir
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Can you get a shot from the top showing its back? I think this is a P. alleni, but it could be a P. Clarkii. Definitely not a C. shufeldtii , way too big. They only get to be about 1.25".

If he gets healthy the legs will grow back. His coloring is not good and he may be sick. Thank pinky color is usually a bad sign.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

He was that color when I got him, only had him overnight so far. He has a 20g tank and his only roomate is a snail, I've fed him some shrimp pellets and he likes those, hopefully he'll get healthy for me.

As to a top view, my better half is the better photographer... I hope this works for you.

I pulled him out for the pic, I was worried I'd drop the camera into the tank :oops:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

This is not a Procambarus alleni or P. clarkii for sure. It's a blue Cherax quadricarinatus.
michiganmale248
Larva
Larva

Post by michiganmale248 »

4 ridges on its head with the two meeting in the in middle.

Mustafa is right, this is a Cherax Quadricarinatus.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

Yep, looks like a C. quadricarinatus. But it's color is very muted. Here's a picture of mine, in technocolor ;)
They do have some red areas, that look pink in your photo, so I don't think the pink is a bad sign. However, the general faded body tones lead me to think it's very stressed. I hope it improves for you.

Image[/img]
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Thanks for the info guys, hopefully he's not sick and just stressed. I'm sure he'll be happy in his new home, in that tank he'll be king and if he does get big there's a 33g he can claim :wink:

Ecir
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Well I'm happy to report that the little guy is doing fantastic, it's only been 5 days and I haven't seen him molt... but all his legs are grown back!! Most look full sized except for one midget leg. He's out and about too, aggresive to defend his tank when we venture too near, glad to see he's got personallity 8) .

Ecir
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

I'm very glad to hear of your success! The dwarf leg should be back to normal with the next molt.

Good luck!