New Orange shrimp purchase

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mcdanielnc89
Egg
Egg

Post by mcdanielnc89 »

OKay, So seems everyone is going around terms if they are true line or not.. Are they a ture line? Yes or no? :oops:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

mcdanielnc89 wrote:OKay, So seems everyone is going around terms if they are true line or not.. Are they a ture line? Yes or no? :oops:
Have you even read the thread? How would we know if they are true-breeding or not if we all *just* got the shrimp and nobody has bred it yet? You may actually want to read the thread to find out why *I* think that they are artificially colored.
Pugio
Larva
Larva

Strange things afoot with my orange shrimp

Post by Pugio »

The orange shrimp I bought seem to be loosing their orange hue and are having color changes. Before the orange color (picture previously in this post) was more uniform and deep on all shrimp - now its lighter, mottled and the shrimp are getting darker pigmentation. I don' think the pics I took do it justice - I adjusted the white balance on my camera to correct for my lighting (6700K) which I can't remember if I did before. These are 3 separate shrimp:

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi Pugio

Thank You
For the updated pictures, they sure look different than the ones pictured on the auction sites.

Please
Keep the updates comming.
John
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

thanks for the update Pugio
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

You know, I think I actually like them BETTER with the dark and orange coloration, rather than just orange. Like a Halloween shrimp. :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Alright...world premiere time. :-D

Orange shrimp with eggs:

And....another world premiere..."orange" shrimp wild/natural color:

I will post a picture of an ovigerous (=egg-carrying) natural color "orange" shrimp as soon as get a clean shot of her. The eggs are pretty small but apparently not as small as amano shrimp eggs.

What's for certain is that they do NOT produce miniature versions of themselves but larvae. The egg size dictates that. Whether these shrimp can be breed in freshwater or not remains to be seen. Some species have larvae that survive and grow to post-larvae and benthic young in freshwater.

If they are colored or not also remains to be seen. Chances are they are colored in a similar fashion as the blue shrimp, but there is a chance that the orange is a mutation and has been selectively bred.

I'll report on further findings as I make more observations.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

Those are really great looking shrimp Mustafa.....

You always get the coolest things.....Im very envious... :-D
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

thanks Mustafa for those info.
Moss Ball
Egg
Egg

Post by Moss Ball »

Thanks for the great pictures!
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

I guess these are the same shrimp that are being offered here as Borneo orange.

Those of you who have them.......what water conditions are you keeping them in? Are these a hard water shrimp like cherrys?

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ok, one of the females (the wild type) released her larvae yesterday. The larvae are tiny and seem to be about the same size as Amano shrimp larvae. I made an "instant comparison" as I constantly have Amano shrimp larvae floating around (females never stop carrying eggs).

Today I could not see any of the larvae. Seems like they died. That does not necessarily mean that they can't survive in freshwater as the tank they are in is relatively newly established and it takes a little while before conditions are right for larval survival. So, I'll just have to wait until I get more larvae, give them a few more chances to make it in freshwater and then try to raise them in saltwater. Either way, this nut will be cracked sooner or later. :) My gut feeling (based on the information I have and my observations) still tells me that these shrimp need saltwater for larval survival and are somehow artificially colored similar to those blue shrimp.

JK...I keep mine in "rock hard" San Diego tap water. The conductivity in their current setup is about 1200 microsiemens/cm (= ca. 720 ppm TDS). And yes, those "borneo orange" are most likely the same shrimp if they look approximately the same. This is the only orange shrimp with this size and shape that I know of and depending on the exporter it comes under about a trillion names. ;)
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi Mustafa!
Mustafa wrote: This is the only orange shrimp with this size and shape that I know of ...
There is at least one more...
We are preparing a manuscript on a similar colored (but morphological and genetical different) Caridina from a small Indonesian island for Zootaxa. Should be finished in about 4 weeks.

Cheers
Werner
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

wklotz wrote:Hi Mustafa!
Mustafa wrote: This is the only orange shrimp with this size and shape that I know of ...
We are preparing a manuscript on a similar colored (but morphological and genetical different) Caridina from a small Indonesian island for Zootaxa. Should be finished in about 4 weeks.

Cheers
Werner
hahaha

well i think nature is not yet finish to surprise us :) and i believe we (at least me ) still have a lot of cool shrimp to discover :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Werner!

That's really interesting if orange is really its natural coloration. That would not make much sense from a survival point of view, but who knows...

I'd love to read your work once it's ready. I hope there are some pictures of the shrimp included in it. :)
wklotz wrote:

Cheers
Werner