" Blue " Cambarellus Shufeldtii CAJUN

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

This is what I am using for the Females to hide in while carrying Eggs.

John
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Exactly what I'm doing.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It actually looks nice and serves a great purpose, thanks for the picture :D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

An update. I was removing some java moss to let in a little more light and this lady came out to pose. Man is she loaded! Should be a hatch in a day or two. The eggs have that gray look just before the hatch.
justrick
Egg
Egg

Post by justrick »

I noticed this morning that some of my baby crays from the last hatch are showing the blue trait. At first I thought it might have been the lighting, but I moved the duckweed out of the way, and sure enough, they still showed as being light blue in color. By my estimate, it was about 5% of the hatch. Looks like I have to get "another" tank. :lol:
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

That is how I started with them. Good Luck
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

My crays are really producing. I just moved 40 out of one 10 gallon over to a 20 long to make room. Got some real nice blue males in that tank. Here is a shot from today:

Only my males show this intense blue. The females are gray or black with blue on their tails.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

very nice.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

So nice it's actually disgusting :-D I have had no success with the dwarf crayfish of either species as far as raising young. The tank formerly occupied by the cajuns now houses some albino BN pleco fry and 2 pairs of blackfin Goodeids. The cajuns disappeared one by one, and I never even saw a single berried female. Oddly, not even the red ramshorns are running amok in that tank since the cajuns are gone. I expected a population boom w/out any predators.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

badflash ,

red ramshorm eat plant ?
what is their size.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Red ramshorns don't eat any more plants than brown ramshorns, they're actually just the albino form of the same species.
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

Nice pic badflash. Now I might need to blow the dust off my camara.
How are everyone else's blue cajuns doing?
I am still working very well with this strain/morph. My experiments so far have proved fruitless. I am not sure what makes them blue or not blue or somewhat blue. I would say they are more of a morph rather than a strain. I will try to post some of my notes on my experiments with food.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Here is my un-proven observations.
The system I use has a power assisted under-gravel filter. Only well aged tanks seen to work. I keep lots of snails, mostly red rams with them. I use pea gravel as a substrate. I beleive this setup gets higher survival rates with the babies. They can hide between the pea gravel and catch copepods.

About 3 times a year I pull everyone out, churn the gravel and vacuum really well, but never break down the tank. For plants I keep java moss and java fern. In one tank I use hornwort.

I was unable to breed these until I started doing this. My cajuns just died out 1 by one, just like you Todd.

As to the blue. I feed mine ColorFin sinking goldfish granules, and some rabbit pellets. I never feed meat based foods. Light is needed to bring out the blue color as well.

They are not blue all the time, but go through color changes. None look like normal cajuns and all do not get the intense blue color. The females never get very blue, but they do get to be almost black.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

The tank was long-established before the cajuns were introduced (gravel and filtration is the same as yours), but the plant cover was limited. The hornwort is gradually thickening, and I've added a couple small pieces of driftwood covered with peacock moss to supplement the java moss and Crypt's. I'm thinking I'll let the plants grow in a bit thicker while the BN's and Goodeids grow and multiply, then try cajuns again in the spring. By then the plants should be quite well-established. I do need to thin out the floaters though, the tank looks quite dim even with the shop light hanging a couple inches above the glass cover.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I keep the plants thinned out so light can reach the gravel. I've gotten rid of all the duckweed and frogbit, guppy grass and hornwort in the cajun tanks. Nothing but java and no fish.