Shrimp Help ASAP

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

lippydippy
Egg
Egg

Shrimp Help ASAP

Post by lippydippy »

getting some shrimp this evening and i have two tanks to choose from. i have a 29 gallon with java moss and fern, with 11 guppies and quite a few snails that will be moved to the other tank.

the other tank is a 75 gallon just setup with a used filter. will put plants in ther aswell as snails.

parameters are as follows
29 gallon ammonia is 1 and the nitrite is 1 and the nitrate is at 10. no body in my tank, snails or the guppies seem to be doing bad so should i do another water change tonight before putting them in?

75 gallon and atm its like 64 degrees but it has 0 nitrite, .25 ammonia from teh water added from water changes from other tank, and 0 nitrate.
which tank do i put them in?
need to know asap please
ptw they are CRS about 19 of them
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Any ammonia or nitrites are very dangerous to shrimp and especially CRS, nitrates at higher levels can also be bad. Unfortunately I don't know of any quick fix for water parameters and a fully cycled and mature aquarium is the safest bet. Perhaps one of the more experienced members will have a suggestion for your predicament.

Good luck, Bill
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

It's surprising to see any ammonia or nitrates at all in an established tank. How long have the snails and guppies been living in that 29G?
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

none of this tank are suitable for shrimp
sorry
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

When your tank is ready use the 75gal setup, it has no fish to stress/eat the shrimp. A good water change can help with conditioning the water.

Best wishes.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Or just let the tank carry out a normal cycle. Add shrimp now and you will lose most, if not all of them.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

sstimac wrote:Or just let the tank carry out a normal cycle. Add shrimp now and you will lose most, if not all of them.
Good point, you can set up a temperary tank/bowl until then.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Neonshrimp wrote:
sstimac wrote:Or just let the tank carry out a normal cycle. Add shrimp now and you will lose most, if not all of them.
Good point, you can set up a temperary tank/bowl until then.
That would be the same thing. The "temporary tank" is not going to magically cycle immediately either.

It's just a bad idea to get shrimp (or any animal) before doing the research and preparing things.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It's just a bad idea to get shrimp (or any animal) before doing the research and preparing things.
Mustafa is right on this. But if you have gone the route that you have you have to do whatever you can to keep your shrimp healthy. You could use the water the shrimp came with as well as the "sponge squeeze" mothod. You can do a search if you are interested.[/quote]
lippydippy
Egg
Egg

shrimp

Post by lippydippy »

so i got the shrimp and duri ng bagging the guy dropped one and i think that one died. the others are doing good now. if they have made it since friday should they be good now?.. did a large water change and added ro water back in to the tank. looking good or not?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Did you try the squeeze method and have you tested the water parameters? It is still too early to know how well the shrimp will do in the long run.
johnny1073
Egg
Egg

Post by johnny1073 »

Amquel+ could be used or maybe prime?
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Patience in this hobby is a requisite. You should have waited until your tanks were fully cycled. At this point it is any person's guess as to how these shrimp will fare. Test your water, if you have ammonia and nitrIte readings above 0, do water changes, but know that shrimp do not like large water changes. I hope you did not put yourself in a pickle.