do you have Shrimp Madness?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

sstimac wrote:I think I have contracted the disease that is circulating this forum.
lol, Sean :-D Welcome to the Club.

You think it's the shrimp that are eating your discus fry? I don't think that's possible with RCS. It is definitely a possibility with Macrobrachium shrimp and maybe ghost shrimp (I still hear conflicting accounts on those guys and live fish fry). But Neocaridina shrimp just are not equipped to grab and handle live prey.

If anything, it's the discus that would eat young shrimp, maybe even adult RCS?
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Baby_Girl wrote:
If anything, it's the discus that would eat young shrimp, maybe even adult RCS?
That's exactly what I think is happening. My discus are eating my RCS babies. I do not think they have eaten any of the big guys, yet, but I know if they were to try hard enough they would be able to. Sorry my last post was confusing, poor paragraph structure.

I just found out that I may be moving into a new apartment at the end of the month. If I move I will sell my discus back to the store so that my RCS have a better chance.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

sstimac wrote: If I move I will sell my discus back to the store so that my RCS have a better chance.
oh yeah, it's confirmed. You're definitely a Shrimp Addict :-D
LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

Ghosts.,

Post by LillianDouglas »

My having been molting .And I had lift over gold fish pellets .From a gold fish I had .Which I gave away to a friend.And the shrimp 'LOVE' it., :D
joachimp
Egg
Egg

WOOO so many RCS babies!

Post by joachimp »

It all started about a week ago, with no more than about 4 tiny RCS foraging around in the java moss... Now there are babies EVERYWHERE! I may have just doubled my RCS population! And still there are several heavily berried RCS Mamas hiding about.
There seem to be 3 distinct sizes of RCS babies, so I'm assuming three clutches? Is there a very much variability in fry size?

Note: It's a forty gallon heavily planted tank with about 15 guppies, maybe about 35 shrimp(not including new babies). I set the system up in September to take some of the bio load off of my turtle tank, and it seems to be working very well, I do monthly 10% water changes, all the bad stuff always reads at 0ppm, NO3 climes towards 20ppm towards the end of the month. The guppies btw, seem to utterly care less about the shrimp. In fact, when there is a guppy to shrimp game of chicken, the guppy almost always turns before the shrimp...
Picture: One of my males relaxing in the afternoon sun
LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

Shrimp

Post by LillianDouglas »

I LOVE YOUR PHOTO. Next week .I'm going to be buying a 'Nano ' For my shrimp. And a pirates of the carb.Ghost ship .I think they would look cool in it.,Lilly :D :) HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: WOOO so many RCS babies!

Post by Baby_Girl »

joachimp wrote:There seem to be 3 distinct sizes of RCS babies, so I'm assuming three clutches? Is there a very much variability in fry size?
congrats on your babies! That is certainly fast, 1 week for your population to increase by 10x? As far as I've seen, shrimplets are all fairly identical in size. RCS babies grow very quickly, and can double their size in a few days, from 3 mm at hatching to 6 mm within a week. So most likely it was multiple cluthces.

That pic of the male in the sunlight is very pretty!

I would recommend doing more water changes than that. 10% per month is very, very low. Even with plants, you should do at least 25% per week. Not only will that benefit your shrimp which are very sensitive to water quality, but your fish will appreciate it as well. Plants can not remove the pheromones and hormonal wastes that animals produce. Besides that though, NO3 at ~20 ppm can be deadly to shrimp.

Is there a turtle in that same tank? If so, they are VERY messy and I personally wouldn't keep them with fish or shrimp because they'll be eaten if they're not killed by polluted water first.
joachimp
Egg
Egg

Re: WOOO so many RCS babies!

Post by joachimp »

Baby_Girl wrote: Is there a turtle in that same tank? If so, they are VERY messy and I personally wouldn't keep them with fish or shrimp because they'll be eaten if they're not killed by polluted water first.
Shrimp/plants/guppies have their own tank. I pump water from the turtle tank to the shrimp/plants/guppies. The Plant tank has high power lights on a long day light cycle keeps the plants growing fast and eating up most of the NOx compounds. I keep a very close eye on the NH4, NO2, NO3 numbers which I sample regularly. The whole system contains about 120gal of water. I just ran some tests the morning, I'm on week three since the last water change, and my NO3 is at 10ppm.

I only have two relatively small turtles. Which have the company of about two dozen of the LPS feeder ghost shrimp which seem to have taken up rather permanent residence among the rocks and wood in the turtles tank. A few of the ghosts are even berried. A good portion of the food the turtles eat comes from clippings from the plant tank. Breeding isn't the central goal, but it's an added bonus. As far as the guppies are concerned, my g/f thinks they are just the cutest things, and won't let me move them in with the turtles... ;)
Baby pictures!
LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

BABIES

Post by LillianDouglas »

Cute babies.Does your ghost shrimp breed.,Lilly :D :-D
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Re: do you have Shrimp Madness?

Post by Newjohn »

The Shrimp Bug
Has Infected many a Hobbyist
and
It is not done yet.

John
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

Your all NUTS!! I love you guys, I feel at home here.
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

I was in the process of setting up a new tropical fish tank (3ftx2ftx18in) after not keeping fish for bout 5 years or so. I was reading around some forums, getting some advice on what to do with the new set up and I read that these Red Cherry Shrimp were good for eating up algae.

After searching for some time, I am came to the conclusion that you couldn't get them in Australia. Every store I went to had never heard of them. Then I went back into one store one day and a guy that worked there said "hey, those shrimp you were talking about, I think this guy has them at this other store", so I went to check it out and there they were - his first batch of RCS.

Bloody expensive, but then they are pretty uncommon in Australia it would seem. So I bought bout half a dozen.

Anyway, I now only own shrimp and don't even have any fish!

I can watch the RCS for hours. The other day I was watching closely as my sister walked by my room. Five minutes later she walked back past, stopped, popped her head in and said "are you STILL watching those shrimp?" - far better than most TV shows! :D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

"are you STILL watching those shrimp?" - far better than most TV shows!
Oh yeah, you have the BUG :-D !
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

The red cherry shrimp I have are reproducing like crazy! If they were plants I think they would be weeds. When I first bought mine, here in the states, they were expensive, as mentioned. but now I think about every aquarist in ohio must have some. It's true that they eat algea, but don't expect them to keep the tank clean the way a sucker mouth catfish can.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

When I first bought mine, here in the states, they were expensive, as mentioned. but now I think about every aquarist in ohio must have some.
That is one of the laws of economics at work, supply outnumbering demand now. As other types of shrimp grow in availability this will also happen to them too.