Blue Zebra Shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Blue Zebra Shrimp?

Post by sstimac »

Is this for real? It is called Blue Zebra Shrimp. That blue just does not look natural. The seller claims is it wild caught.

Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

oh man, I recognize that trademark in the lower right corner. They're the same folks who are selling the 'orange glass shrimp' I asked about viewtopic.php?t=2807

They also said those were wild-caught and all of them look like that, when it's actually just shrimp which are harboring an internal parasite. I bet they have no idea what species they're dealing in, and just lump all dwarf shrimp with those parasites into those shipments :roll:

After learning that, I personally am hesitant to swallow anything that seller offers. But since I have not kept zebra shrimp myself, I hope someone else will be able to tell you whether that one is natural or not. It certainly is gorgeous, but so were the orange glass shrimp (I thought).
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

This is a blue tiger shrimp. People use the name "zebra shrimp" for all kinds of shrimp (bumblebee shrimp, tiger shrimp, bee shrimp, indian zebra shrimp etc.) from all kinds of places (like China, India, South America...etc.).

However, it's anyone's guess if the offspring of these shrimp will be blue or just normal tiger shrimp (see shrimp varieties page). There is a blue tiger shrimp in the hobby that produces blue offspring at a certain percentage (i.e. many offspring are not blue = the species/variety does not breed true for the blue trait..yet), but those blue tigers have golden eyes. I have not yet heard/seen a blue tiger shrimp with normal eyes that produces blue offspring. It may produce blue offspring or it may just turn out to be like the blue Neocaridina sp., whose offspring aren't blue (see shrimp varieties page again).

As for the Neocaridina sp. with the parasites...the shrimp are wild-caught alright...the parasites can only be found in wild-caught animals. Also, these parasites are harmless, as war as we know, as they do not kill or harm the shrimp in any recognizable way and cannot infect other shrimp without a suitable intermediate host.
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

Mustafa wrote: As for the Neocaridina sp. with the parasites...the shrimp are wild-caught alright...the parasites can only be found in wild-caught animals. Also, these parasites are harmless, as far as we know, as they do not kill or harm the shrimp in any recognizable way and cannot infect other shrimp without a suitable intermediate host.
I want to say that I read somewhere that the parasite can infect humans. I don't know if that's true or not, and I can't recall where I read that either. Do you know anything about that, Mustafa? It bothers me enough that I'm not willing to keep any wild caught N. palmata. :o
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

Mustafa wrote:these parasites are harmless, as war as we know, as they do not kill or harm the shrimp in any recognizable way
but since they are classified as 'parasites' and not some sort of commensalistic relationship, that means they must have some negative effect on the host. At the very least, they are deriving nourishment probably from the shrimp's food and taking up space inside the body which could go toward organs and other body parts. Right?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It is almost always better healthwise not to have a parasite attached.

My question is what is the suitable intermediate host?
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

shrimpbaby wrote:It bothers me enough that I'm not willing to keep any wild caught N. palmata. :o
At least you wouldn't have people making jokes about eating your shrimp :twisted:
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Neonshrimp wrote:It is almost always better healthwise not to have a parasite attached.

My question is what is the suitable intermediate host?
any superior animals
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Alright...This is what's the deal here: The shrimp are actually the intermediate hosts for an intestinal parasite that is host specific. In other words, the parasite needs to get into the intestines of a fish, or bird or mammal etc. to reproduce. These host animals need to eat the shrimp with the parasitic eggs/larvae in it to acquire the parasite.

So those orange things in the shrimp are the eggs/larvae of the parasite and it reaches its adult form (and reproduces) only in its final host (See above). Unless you decide to eat your shrimp, you'll be fine. :)

Werner Klotz from our forum (wklotz) and Andreas Karge have written an excellent article about this...but again, it's only available in German:

http://www.wirbellose.de/klotz/nektarinen.html

But lucky you...because what I wrote above is basically what the article says. :-D
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

Mustafa wrote:Alright...This is what's the deal here: The shrimp are actually the intermediate hosts for an intestinal parasite that is host specific. In other words, the parasite needs to get into the intestines of a fish, or bird or mammal etc. to reproduce. These host animals need to eat the shrimp with the parasitic eggs/larvae in it to acquire the parasite.

So those orange things in the shrimp are the eggs/larvae of the parasite and it reaches its adult form (and reproduces) only in its final host (See above). Unless you decide to eat your shrimp, you'll be fine. :)

Werner Klotz from our forum (wklotz) and Andreas Karge have written an excellent article about this...but again, it's only available in German:

http://www.wirbellose.de/klotz/nektarinen.html

But lucky you...because what I wrote above is basically what the article says. :-D
Here it is translated, sort of. :lol:

[removed by admin]

Copied and pasted through babel fish.

There are some really cool pictures in the article.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

shrimpbaby, thanks for trying to help but automatic translations do more harm than good when it comes to technical topics. People trying to decipher the "translation" inevitably come to the wrong conclusions and spread their newfound "knowledge" and a new myth is born. I've seen it too many times. Hence I have removed the babelfish "translation." Being from Germany myself I can tell you that there was more gibberish than translation.... I just don't want my forum to contribute to misinforming hobbyists.
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

That's fine.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

thank you for summarizing what you know of the situation, Mustafa. I was hoping you might enlighten us to that effect, given you speak German and all :wink:

Unfortunately, I linked an automatically-generated translation of a similar article as well in my 'orange glass shrimp' thread. It certainly didn't help me, simply due to the poor quality English. I will go back and delete it, too.