Another orange shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Another orange shrimp?

Post by JK »

Just got these today

All I know is that they came from India.

Orange babaulti maybe?...............Any ideas?..............do they breed like the usual babaulti?

Any info would be great.

Cheers
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

oooh, that one's definitely new to me. It's GORGEOUS, so congrats on that find!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's from India and that's it's stressed out coloration. If it stays like that any longer it will probably be gone. They are a more greenish coloration when they feel well. However, they can be all kinds of colors depending on their environment including black. This is a pretty interesting species that produces young (=mini-shrimp) instead of free-floating larvae.

I'm trying to establish a colony of these. The offspring have been slow-growing so far.
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Thanks Mustafa,

I selected these from a batch of mixed colours.......mainly olive to greenish blue. There are only five individuals showing this colouration, and so far they seem normal. I do hope they are not sick as it would be a real shame to loose them. Its good to know this variety is breedable, they could be a good little project for the future.

I'll keep you posted on how they do.
Mordaki
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Mordaki »

that looks cool shame it is its stressed colour(would be cool if it was a new colour morph tho :D may be possible but i know nothing about shrimp genetics) jk if you don't mind me asking what part of the UK do you live in?
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Mordaki wrote:jk if you don't mind me asking what part of the UK do you live in?
I'm in Essex.

I've sent you a pm with the details.
Mordaki
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Mordaki »

cool thx
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

Mustafa wrote:It's from India and that's it's stressed out coloration. If it stays like that any longer it will probably be gone.
ohh, that is really too bad. Like JK, I also find that orange color very becoming :?
So I probably would have done the same as you, and picked out those guys too.

Please keep us updated as to how they do. Are the males you got in that batch similar in color/shade or are they a paler orange?
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Are the males you got in that batch similar in color/shade or are they a paler orange?
I'm not sure what sexes I have, there are a couple of small ones that could be males. The largest one which looks female to me. may just be showing signs of a saddle. Fingers crossed anyway.

So far so good. :D

I'll keep you posted on what happens.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Unfortunately, the only specimen of these shrimp that I have ever seen imported were female. I was lucky enough to find a berried female and now have offspring growing up. The males are more streamlined and are transparent, although not colorless, similar to many other indian shrimp species' males. Since these shrimp are sent in in mixed-species bags, it's not always guaranteed that the male you happen to find is actually the same species as your females.
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Mustafa wrote:. Since these shrimp are sent in in mixed-species bags, it's not always guaranteed that the male you happen to find is actually the same species as your females.
Yes that's right, around 30% of mine look as though they are infact Indian Zebra shrimps. For this reason I separated them immediately!

If I can just get one like you I'll be more than happy.