Wood Shrimp Problem

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

kimco
Larva
Larva

Wood Shrimp Problem

Post by kimco »

HI all,

I have a couple of wood shrimps in my planted tank together with a few Red Cherries, Tigers, Bumblebees and Amanos. Recently i had some BBA appearing in my tank and increased my CO2 slowly to try and eradicate them. I was observing the behavior of my critters lest i overdose my CO2, all of my shrimps didnt react abnormally but my wood started to dance furiously, a few actually jump out of my tank and another 2 was knock out cold. The funny thing is a few didnt react at all to the increased CO2!!!!!! I transfered my wood shrimp to a non CO2 tank and is now quite happy in them. Could it be the wood shrimp are more sensitive to CO2?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

KG
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Good question. I don't have CO2 additions in my tank so I would not know if they are more sensitive. Did you change any other water parameters along with the CO2? Did you do anything in the tank that could have scared the shrimp and caused them to jump out? Wood shrimp can panick quite easily, especially if they are just introduced in your tank.

Mustafa
Maxxx
Egg
Egg

Post by Maxxx »

I had simliar experience on wood shrimp and actually also Amano.
I once raised the CO2 level to try to make an emersed plant survive in my tank, and my wood shrimp and Amano started to die a few days after the CO2 adjustment. The wood shrimps did act weird before they died, they kind of became even more sensitive than they used to be.
I am not sure if it's the CO2 or the dropping of PH since I was using very soft water, but other shrimps and fish were doing fine.

What's the PH/CO2 concentration in your tank now?

Max
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

Mustafa wrote:Did you change any other water parameters along with the CO2? Did you do anything in the tank that could have scared the shrimp and caused them to jump out? Wood shrimp can panick quite easily, especially if they are just introduced in your tank.

Mustafa
No I did not change water or tamper with any other water parameters other than my CO2 injection. Actually, before the additional injection, my wood shrimp was very brightly coloured in red with white stripes running down their bodies, it was really very very beautiful!!!!! This suggested as was written in your article, that they are comfortable with the environment!!! there are also no new critters additions to my tank and I was observing them closely when I increased the CO2 injection. It happened within a 20-30 minutes.

Cheers,

KG
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

mmh... I have a planted tank and I use CO2 daily (around 8 hrs) while my PH level is around 6.5 and my shrimps seem to be very happy! Just found two Bees pregrant again...ee..eee :D
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

Maxxx wrote: What's the PH/CO2 concentration in your tank now?

Max
I'm sorry but i'm not a very technical guy so i only observe my bubbling plants and critters behaviour to ascertain my CO2 injection level :oops:

Cheers,

KG
Shrimpmania
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Shrimpmania »

sure do
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

kimco wrote: I'm sorry but i'm not a very technical guy so i only observe my bubbling plants and critters behaviour to ascertain my CO2 injection level :oops:

Cheers,

KG
You should start measuring your PH at least since a sudden change in PH could have been the problem. It's really easy to measure really and you don't need to be technical to do that.

Mustafa
kingkano
Larva
Larva

Post by kingkano »

yes please do. Just measure your ph and kh and you can work out co2 from that....

On a related note, has anyone noticed shrimps turning black from co2? My story.....

I have a tank with hagen yeast co2 injection, and when I added amano shrimps one decided under the ladder would be his home. He always went back there I couldnt dissuade him, so I left him to it. He came out for food occasinally and then went back. His body went a really dark colour, almost blackish. I did worry but he did seem fine. After a few months he was too big to fit back in there so stopped, and a few weeks after that his clearish colour started to come back. It was well weird, has anyone experienced similar???
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

Mustafa wrote:You should start measuring your PH at least since a sudden change in PH could have been the problem. It's really easy to measure really and you don't need to be technical to do that.

Mustafa
Looks like I'll have to get the PH kit. Already have the KH test kit but somehow cant seem to understand its significance!! :oops:

Cheers,

KG
Shrimpmania
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Shrimpmania »

Haha.. get it fast.. lolx.. Ph values of water is impt