Shrimp ID help

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Pugio
Larva
Larva

Shrimp ID help

Post by Pugio »

Found a bunch of these shrimp in a tank at a LFS near Baltimore. He said these are the same species as snowball shrimp but wild. Doesn't look like it to me. My closest guess is indian dwarf or "rainbow"?

This is the SAME shrimp: Top pic is with flash, bottom is without (true color). They are a reddish with orange eyes.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Shrimp ID help

Post by Mustafa »

It's, of course, nonsense that they are wild snowballs. I have some in my tanks right now....they appear to be a species either closely related to Caridina serratirostris or they are a variation/subspecies of the same. They are usually imported from Southeast Asia. These guys produce larvae that need to be reared in saltwater. It's next to impossible to find males for this species (yours are all females).
Pugio
Larva
Larva

Post by Pugio »

Thanks Mustafa. Well I'm not happy that they may need saltwater to reproduce since I was hoping they would - but maybe that's why they aren't one of the popular species. They're very colorful. My guess is they hitch rides on shipments of other shrimp species to my LFS. The manager was surprised I wanted them...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They for sure need saltwater. They can be "contaminants" in shipments of other species, but they are also shipped purposefully as a shrimp variety that stores can order.
Rama
Egg
Egg

Post by Rama »

Hello :smt006
Please help me indentify this shrimp. Sometimes they change their colour into green or blue :roll: .

Thanking you in anticipation . :smt061
Attachments
Krevetė 3.JPG
Krevetė 3.JPG (42.74 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Krevetė 2.JPG
Krevetė 2.JPG (60.18 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Krevetė 1.JPG
Krevetė 1.JPG (39.19 KiB) Viewed 1012 times