Kardinalsshrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

stonefox
Larva
Larva

Kardinalsshrimp

Post by stonefox »

Hi.
What i the water"Rules" for breeding Kardinals ?
aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Kardinalsshrimp

Post by aberfitch »

uh oooo :shock:
stonefox
Larva
Larva

Post by stonefox »

This one:

ADMIN: Links to commercial websites removed. No links to commercial website allowed, please read rules!
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

Keeping and breeding the shrimp from the ancient lakes of Sulawesi is not that difficult. All they need is a pH about 8 and a temperature of around 27°C.
Getting them is more difficult however, as they cannot stand low temperature not even for a few hours, or they will die.

This is not the Kardinalsshrimp, as they unfortunately died on the way to me, due to bad packing and low temperature. But I previously got 3 other shrimp species from the lake which are all fine and the first one is breeding.
I like these very much, too.

southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Could you please show a photo of the one that is breeding?

Bill
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

This is not the Kardinalsshrimp, as they unfortunately died on the way to me, due to bad packing and low temperature. But I previously got 3 other shrimp species from the lake which are all fine and the first one is breeding.
I like these very much, too.
So you had to go through some bad experiences before geting a stable/established colony? Thank you for sharing these with us, hope you have continued success, they look great by the way :D
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

It is a diffent species that is breeding. It is very small, only 12mm and very shy. I did not manage to photograph them yet.
I am sorry, I got confused in my post above. Depicted is the Kardinalsshrimp of course. I mixed it up with the Harlekinshrimp, C. cf. spongicola. It is those that died.
The Kardinalsshrimp got here well, I am sure however that they are very vulnerable to cold temperature, too.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

"Kardinalsgarnele", which someone translated to "Cardinal Shrimp" is *one* name that someone in Germany made up so far. On import lists they appear under different names (several), so it will take some time before a real "common name" will get established. Cardinal Shrimp is a bad name as there is already a saltwater shrimp with that name (Lysmata debelius, also called "fire shrimp). I would *not* recommend these shrimp as your first shrimp (or second for that matter). Not only are they harder to keep than RCS but they are actually endemic to usually only one lake (for each species) and hence highly endangered. It would be a shame if these shrimp end up in beginner's tanks (beginners with deep pockets) and become casualties of their learning curve.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It would be a shame if these shrimp end up in beginner's tanks (beginners with deep pockets) and become casualties of their learning curve.
Would you say they are in the difficulty range of CRS or bumblebee shrimp? Or is it in it's very own class/level?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I would hate to see such a nice looking shrimp disapear from there natural habitat due to the " Almighty Buck ".

I believe one of these species was a topic of a thread awhile back.

zwergkrebszuechter
Thank you for sharing the photos and information.

I hope that this shrimp will become available as " Tank Raised " in the Hobby soon.
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Well, there is several people who have already bred them (who have them longer than I have). I would not say that shrimp from these lakes are very difficult to keep or breed. Breeding any type of shrimp with a larval stage is way more difficult. In my opinion they are just different. They have different needs from those shrimp we already know. Once one meets these needs for special water quality, they are no more difficult to keep than any red bee shrimp or else.

What Mustafa says is true of course. Many species, especially the more colorful ones are known from only one or a few small locations in these big lakes. However I doubt that it is possible to threaten a shrimp species simply by catching it. Even the shrimp catching business that might build up around the lakes is probably less a danger than those mines for nickel that already exist. It is not unlikely, that the high amounts of heavy metals, found in the lakes are caused by these mines. Protecting an animal without protecting its habitate is simply useless.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

zwergkrebszuechter

Could you share any updates on your Breeding Projects on these Shrimp ?

John