Few pointers on new RCS tank please...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Few pointers on new RCS tank please...

Post by jeej »

Some of you may have read my other threads, I currently have a very small (i.e. less than 10gal) tank that houses 5 RCS. One got sick recently and I think it was due to ammonia - seems better now though. Basically I am going to get a cube tank that is 18x18x18inches so 25gal. I would just like opinions on the best type of filter to use for this tank, feel free to suggest brands and models etc...

I've learnt from my n00b mistakes and I'm gonna take time to scape this one properly and get everything perfect before I move any RCS into it. I just want to get everything ideal from the get go.

All suggestions and comments appreciated.

Thank you.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Few pointers on new RCS tank please...

Post by badflash »

Moving the filter to the new tank with a little bios load if the quickest way to cycle it. What kind of filter are you using?

If you have a sponge or HOB filter you can squeeze or rinse of the filter in the new tank. You can add shrimp withing 24 hours that way.
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

Currently I have one of those hang over the back filters with a big bit of sponge over the intake.

How do the standard sponge filters work? What do I need to buy to make one?

Thanks.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

One types that I have made that works pretty well uses some stuff you may already have. Here is the material list:
-an empty plastic fish food can with label removed
-a 9" section of 1" diameter tubing (not the flexible kind)
-a 1" air stone
-filter floss or foam
-a handful of gravel
-airline tubing

Cut small grooves out from the bottom of the 9" tube so water can pass through. Place the cut end in the food can. Fill the food can half way with gravel and fill to the top with filter floss. Place the airline tubing with 1" air stone through the 9" tube. Connect airline tubing to air pump.
The blue thing is the air stone, the grey area is the filter floss, the brown the gravel, and the black rectangle is the airline tubing.
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

That's pretty cool, but by hiding so much of the media it means the shrimp wont be able to feast as much!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

They can't get at an HOB filter at all. Sponge filters like that are used by most of us. They work fine.
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

I did say that I have a large sponge on the intake of my HOB filter. They love it.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the diagram sstimac but why are you using gravel? Wouldn't the filter work well without the need for gravel or is it there to weigh down the filter?
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Yes it is there to weight it down.
skipm
Egg
Egg

Post by skipm »

If you want the sponge exposed for the shrimp to be able to graze on the bacterias on the sponge simply buy a commercial sponge filter, they are available for about $10 and all you need to run one is airline tubing and an airpump. I have 2 very small ones in my 10 gall RCS tank and they have been working out well so far. I have seen evidence of breeding and the shrimp all are healthy.
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

That's exactly what I've just done, thanks skipm.

Today I went and bought a glass tank that measures 23x12x12inches. Also a sponge filter along with an air pump.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hope all goes well and keep us updated, thanks.