Blue Pearl Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

EastCoastShrimp
Egg
Egg

Blue Pearl Shrimp

Post by EastCoastShrimp »

Heres a picture of these blue pearl shrimps i have. Before i thought all the shrimps would have that nice blue tint to them. But heres a picture of what a variety of colors they have. Only some will have that blue tint. I hope selective breeding can make it better. Let me know what you guys think. :D

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Re: Blue Pearl Shrimp

Post by Newjohn »

Hi EastCoastShrimp

You have a wide variaty of color with your Blue Pearls.
The berried shrimp looks like a Snowball and the shrimp at the Bottom Center looks to have "Red Stripes" on it tail.

These ones I have are More of a vary vary faint Blue, I have no dark blues.

The best advise I have is to buy your shrimp from a trusted Hobbyist, that does not house species / color morphs that will breed together.
I have heard of people keeping Snowballs & Blue pearls in the same tank, which is not a good idea if you are trying to breed a true color morph.

Just My Thought
John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Nice shrimp! I have to agree with Newjohn and I try my best to keep any of my different types of shrimp from interbreeding. However, if these are all blue pearls then there should be no problems. Do you find them to require the same level of care as Red Cherrie shrimp or different needs?
EastCoastShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by EastCoastShrimp »

I keep them in a separate tank. They kinda of look like snowballs, but they're not. Snowballs carry white eggs, notice in the pictures, those are brown eggs. I bought it from a well known shrimp breeder. They're pretty easy to take care of. Notice how it has some kind of red marks on it a little and the little babies around. :D

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi EastCoastShrimp

I am not sure what the red markings are, maybe Mustafa can shed some light on this subject.

As for increasing the number of Blue Offspring.
You will need to do some selective breeding in another tank.

Keep your best colored Shrimp in a seperate tank and when they have offspring,
Sort out " Cull " the none colored shrimp.
You should notice a larger percentage of colored shrimp with every new generation.
This process will take several generation.

Good Luck
Please keep us posted with updated picture
John
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

I am not sure, if selective breeding will help much. It is not unusual for Neocaridina shrimp of all colors that their coloration changes with their mood. In general adult females are the most colorful. Especially for the blue pearl shrimp for example is true, that females will turn pale, once they lay eggs. Females with new eggs are always pale. They will color up some days later.
I am not sure what to make of the red/brown stripes, these can maybe modified by selective breeding.
dhavoc
Egg
Egg

Post by dhavoc »

mine show the same variations in color. you have to keep them on a dark substrate to bring out the blue tint. they are very easy to keep and breed as readily as RCS. the red stripes are also evident in mine and are getting more pronounced with each generation. reminds me of tigers a little.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi EastCoastShrimp

Do you have any updated pictures or information you can share ?

John