Trip to the springs!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mshuangchao
Egg
Egg

Trip to the springs!

Post by mshuangchao »

Finally found time to take a trip to the springs, took samples of the water and rocks too. According to my preliminary diagnostics, I estimate the rocks are mostly composed of CaCO3, precise tests will be taken later to prove this. Found lots of shrimp (pics), no need for too much explanation! :-D
Attachments
Their habitat.
Their habitat.
IMG_3462.jpg (180.77 KiB) Viewed 3568 times
Working...
Working...
IMG_3455.jpg (195.58 KiB) Viewed 3567 times
Me in the middle!
Me in the middle!
IMG_3451.jpg (161.81 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
Last edited by mshuangchao on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mshuangchao
Egg
Egg

Re: Trip to the springs!

Post by mshuangchao »

more... :-D
Attachments
IMG_3474.jpg
IMG_3474.jpg (79.07 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
IMG_3497.jpg
IMG_3497.jpg (69.47 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
IMG_3512.jpg
IMG_3512.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

mshuangchao - Fantastic!
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

What a great set of photos, shrimp and environment. What beautiful country and shrimp and thank you for the educational tour.

Cheers, Bill
AlexMC
Egg
Egg

Post by AlexMC »

Great Pictures!

Thanks for sharing.
thief
Larva
Larva

Post by thief »

Thats awsome. Also love the backround photo. It's amazing there. Hope to see more trips from you! :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great job sharing oyur trip and experience with us :D I can see what you mean buy the TRIP to the springs, the path looks pretty steep and mountainous :shock: Thanks for the glimpes you gave to us hobbyist who will not be able to go there any time soon :-D
aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by aberfitch »

wow that is so beautiful. I wish I could go see that! the nature is so breathtaking and you can just collect shrimp from the streams that must be so great. Thanks for the pics!!
jeej
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by jeej »

Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of shrimp are those?
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

There is a discussion about these shrimp here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2909

Quite interesting... I can't wait to hear more about his adventures.

Cheers, Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for your pictures and your report! (And welcome to the forum!). It's always great to have someone from the native countries of our shrimp reporting about their habitats. It's interesting to note that the habitats of most dwarf shrimp are very similar, no matter on what continent they are. As one can see, their habitats don't look lik Amano's planted tanks. :-D It's just rocks and biofilm on rocks and very, very clean, well-oygenated water (in most cases).

Looking forward to more pictures and reports. :) Hope you and the shrimp are surviving the cold spell in southern China well.
mshuangchao
Egg
Egg

Post by mshuangchao »

jeej wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but what kind of shrimp are those?
The last pic is a blue shrimp and the one before it is a bee shrimp I suppose? :?:
mshuangchao
Egg
Egg

Post by mshuangchao »

Thanks everybody! Hope you liked it! :-D I'm doing ok here during this cold weather by the way, surviving!
behhl
Egg
Egg

Post by behhl »

mshuangchao wrote:Finally found time to take a trip to the springs, took samples of the water and rocks too. According to my preliminary diagnostics, I estimate the rocks are mostly composed of CaCO3, precise tests will be taken later to prove this. Found lots of shrimp (pics), no need for too much explanation! :-D
Hi mshuangchao! That's a nice place - reminds me of some of the streams I got around to when I was a kid growing up. However I would be surprised if those rocks are CaCO3 ... they do not have the look especially in that water weathering - I would guess they are more granitic type rocks.

Most streams of this kind I expect you will also find in certain areas where the water slows down deposits of fine sand which are the weathered rock, and this quartz type sand I would expect.

Thanks for the pictures and the shrimps! I wish I knew when I was a kid how to rear this shrimps, we used to just throw them back or keep them for a while and they would usually perish. We never saw them in large numbers normally a couple or so at a time. In the unpolluted streams we could get macrobrachium types (locally called Udang Galah) ... unfortunately with the price of development many of these streams ecosystems have been upset.

regards
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

... unfortunately with the price of development many of these streams ecosystems have been upset.
That is really bad news. So the streams there are being polluted and destroyed? If you have a chance try to take a day to visit one and see if what you can find, maybe you can save some shrimp and breed them as a hobbyist :wink: