New Orange shrimp purchase

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

werner ,

after reading this with translation machine it is not easy :)
http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.cgi?acti ... &artNo=352
i have a question , do you think all the orange shrimp on the market are the same ?
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

zapisto wrote:werner ,

after reading this with translation machine it is not easy :)
http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.cgi?acti ... &artNo=352
i have a question , do you think all the orange shrimp on the market are the same ?
There is always a possibility that they are more than one shrimp specie.
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi all!
milalic wrote: There is always a possibility that they are more than one shrimp specie.
That´s right. But on my humble opinion all this shrimp with smooth orange color (not with orange pigemnt cells like in C. endehensis or C. cf. ppendiculata) you can find in ornamental shrimp market at moment(!) belong to this species.
But like I wrote above, there are more species with such a body color in nature.

Cheers
Werner
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

thank Werner.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: New Orange shrimp purchase

Post by sstimac »

Digging up an old post. I was wondering if anyone has nailed down whether or not these larvae need saltwater. I have recently seen these for sale in town.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They need saltwater. Plus, there is almost never a male in any of these shipments so you'll be stuck with a bunch of women keeping each other company.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Excellent thanks for letting me know. My LFS has eight of these shrimp one is, I believe, a male. His coloration is more of a pale yellow, whereas the others are a very nice orange. Several of them are saddled.
saganco
Egg
Egg

Post by saganco »

Are these the shrimp you guys are talking about? I got some in back in January, but since that time, all that happens is that I keep loosing them. I started with 21 and now I'm down to 12 of them. None ever reproduce - so the all female comment makes sense - BUT the coloration of some of them is MUCH less colorful, so I assumed that they are the males... :smt017

Image I have more pics of them here: http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z245 ... girl/Fish/

I fear that I have something here that requires salt water for sure, because of the consistent walk toward complete extinction here with them! :cry:
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

After doing more research on them, I have decided not to buy any of them. Many people have reported losses with them. There are some for sale on an auction house right now and I asked the seller whether they were tank raised or imported. He or she said that they were tank raised. They appear to be the same species as the ones pictured above, although it is really difficult to tell from photos alone. I am thinking that either he or she is breeding with salt or are lying about the origins of the shrimp.

I have a freshwater, planted ten gallon cycled for two months, waiting for something to put in it. I will just have to wait longer to find something to put in it.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

sstimac wrote:There are some for sale on an auction house right now and I asked the seller whether they were tank raised or imported. He or she said that they were tank raised. They appear to be the same species as the ones pictured above, although it is really difficult to tell from photos alone. I am thinking that either he or she is breeding with salt or are lying about the origins of the shrimp.
1. All the orange shrimp on the market right now are the same species. 2. Whoever that seller is must be lying about breeding these shrimp as these shrimp produce saltwater larvae (saganco: but the shrimp themselves live in freshwater...you should read up on this as it's common in shrimp). Nobody has ever reported breeding them. Some people like to claim that the shrimp they sell are "easy to keep and breed" just to make them more appealing. It's unethical but people unfortunately do it. These shrimp can be had for very, very cheap from wholesalers, so it's easy for someone to claim "I am breeding them" as there is ample supply. If in doubt, just ask for a picture of their tank showing adults and juveniles of all sizes and I can guarantee you that you won't get that picture. 3. Coloration is *not* an indicator of gender in these shrimp. These shrimp can be dark orange, pale orange and even just clearish/greenish with no orange at all. Body shape however is an indicator. Males are a lot more slender, similar to the way RCS males are a lot more slender.
saganco
Egg
Egg

Post by saganco »

I think the reason I'm loosing mine is the well water here. I probalby need to condition it with something. Don't know what - but can certainly do my research.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Berried "Orange" Shrimp...

This was sent to me from a seller showing a berried female....

Thought it would be good for reference.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Nice Picture

I have never seen a berried female.

Those eggs look small,

Thank You
For Sharing
John
behhl
Egg
Egg

Post by behhl »

Mustafa wrote:1. All the orange shrimp on the market right now are the same species. 2. Whoever that seller is must be lying about breeding these shrimp as these shrimp produce saltwater larvae (saganco: but the shrimp themselves live in freshwater...you should read up on this as it's common in shrimp). Nobody has ever reported breeding them. Some people like to claim that the shrimp they sell are "easy to keep and breed" just to make them more appealing. It's unethical but people unfortunately do it. These shrimp can be had for very, very cheap from wholesalers, so it's easy for someone to claim "I am breeding them" as there is ample supply. If in doubt, just ask for a picture of their tank showing adults and juveniles of all sizes and I can guarantee you that you won't get that picture. 3. Coloration is *not* an indicator of gender in these shrimp. These shrimp can be dark orange, pale orange and even just clearish/greenish with no orange at all. Body shape however is an indicator. Males are a lot more slender, similar to the way RCS males are a lot more slender.
The grapevine in Malaysia says that these were reputedly first available from Celebes ... but now are tank bred coming from Indonesian by the bucketload. There has been at least one person here in Malaysia who has bred them but he is keeping mum on how.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

behhl wrote:
Mustafa wrote:1. All the orange shrimp on the market right now are the same species. 2. Whoever that seller is must be lying about breeding these shrimp as these shrimp produce saltwater larvae (saganco: but the shrimp themselves live in freshwater...you should read up on this as it's common in shrimp). Nobody has ever reported breeding them. Some people like to claim that the shrimp they sell are "easy to keep and breed" just to make them more appealing. It's unethical but people unfortunately do it. These shrimp can be had for very, very cheap from wholesalers, so it's easy for someone to claim "I am breeding them" as there is ample supply. If in doubt, just ask for a picture of their tank showing adults and juveniles of all sizes and I can guarantee you that you won't get that picture. 3. Coloration is *not* an indicator of gender in these shrimp. These shrimp can be dark orange, pale orange and even just clearish/greenish with no orange at all. Body shape however is an indicator. Males are a lot more slender, similar to the way RCS males are a lot more slender.
The grapevine in Malaysia says that these were reputedly first available from Celebes ... but now are tank bred coming from Indonesian by the bucketload. There has been at least one person here in Malaysia who has bred them but he is keeping mum on how.
All this secrecy and rumors just sound wrong to me too. I think I will wait a while until the cloud of mystery clears :roll: