do you have Shrimp Madness?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: do you have Shrimp Madness?

Post by mikedmatthews »

i have to agree, this hobby is nuts. i got my first group of cherry shrimp 3 years ago and now i have 8 species of shrimp and 2 species of crays. too bad they are so hard to find around here.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

I have Invertebrate madness.....

Looking forward to getting my Spongilla alba on wednesday
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

mikedmatthews wrote:i have to agree, this hobby is nuts. i got my first group of cherry shrimp 3 years ago and now i have 8 species of shrimp and 2 species of crays. too bad they are so hard to find around here.
Not so hard that you couldn't find 8 species of shrimp and 2 of crays :-D
mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by mikedmatthews »

Neonshrimp wrote:
mikedmatthews wrote:i have to agree, this hobby is nuts. i got my first group of cherry shrimp 3 years ago and now i have 8 species of shrimp and 2 species of crays. too bad they are so hard to find around here.
Not so hard that you couldn't find 8 species of shrimp and 2 of crays :-D
yeah, well that was a lot of work! given RCS, bought CRS at a nearby club meeting, a caridina sp. at an auction, neohet. blueberry at another auction, shufeldtii/snowball/yellow hets all online, marbles in trade, ghosts and macros picked out of a feeder tank. traded off all my p. alleni - fry were just too much of a pain. o. virilis once, but the little turds all climbed out. had tiger shrimp too, but i didn't get that to work out. and it took 3 years!
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

Not so hard that you couldn't find 8 species of shrimp and 2 of crays
You guys are having better luck at finding shrimp than me! I just have "red claws" and red cherries. I have only 1 "fuzzy claw" female. I kept M. Rosenbergi about 10 years ago, and I think it was that experience that really got me into inverts.
HamatoKameko
Egg
Egg

Post by HamatoKameko »

mikedmatthews wrote:o. virilis once, but the little turds all climbed out.
Sorry for your loss, but your wording just cracked me up. :smt005

Oh, hi, I'm new here. And yeah, I've got it too. I think the two local chain petshops, and the little privately owned petshop up the street, all think I'm nuts. Especially the latter. Not too often they see someone standing over the brine shrimp tank grinning over how "cute" they are. XD; Or even the ghost shrimp tank.

My gateway drug were triops. I saw the kit in Hobby Lobby and was intrigued. Once I got started on them, I decided I wanted to give Sea Monkeys a try, because hey, why not?

I am artemia obsessed now, something terrible. With two basic Ocean Zoo tanks and two "miniworld" tanks, I've now combined the smaller colonies into a healthy big colony and one smaller (also healthy :-D ) colony. With the empty Ocean Zoo tank, I'm experimenting with generic feeder artemia (and what a stupid time for my hand to twitch, while putting the eggs in!!--I've already had to move some of the larvae into another tank once already), mostly as a side-by-side comparison with my Sea Monkeys (so far, the sea monkey hybrid certainly grows faster!!). The empty miniworld tank is now cleaned out to become home to my "Sea Dragons," an Australian breed of artemia being billed as an alternative to Sea Monkeys. I just had to give 'em a go.

Cutting my teeth, so to speak, on my fairy shrimp, have led me to a fascination with dwarf shrimp. I'm itching to get a start with Opae Ula, and in the meantime, I'm considering starting a small tank with the only dwarf shrimp that seem to be readily available here, ghost shrimp.

...er.

"If yooouuuuu can ramble for hours (or paragraphs) about your shrimp, you might have the Shrimp Bug" Image
HamatoKameko
Egg
Egg

Apologies for the double-post; I had no edit button...

Post by HamatoKameko »

Speak of the devil! Right after posting the above, I went out to check my mail, and what did I find? My "Sea Dragon" eggs awaiting me in the mailbox. I was running out of patience! :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi and welcome to the forum :D
The empty miniworld tank is now cleaned out to become home to my "Sea Dragons," an Australian breed of artemia being billed as an alternative to Sea Monkeys. I just had to give 'em a go.
Interesting, let us know how they work out for you.
shrimp_n_it
Egg
Egg

Post by shrimp_n_it »

Thank God there is a safe place we can admit we have a problem.... You know that's the first step. I am so glad I'm not alone !
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Post by wskurdahl »

You think you have a problem? Look at what the shrimp starting to do to my garage

mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by mikedmatthews »

dude, you are seriously wasting vertical real estate. racks are where its at!

that's some pretty swank flooring though, what is that?
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Post by wskurdahl »

epoxy garage coating, I wanted something I could wash. No those tubs are just the start, basically just a huge area to mass breed certain species. Over each one I will be able to fit 6 40gal breeder tanks. Also against the back wall (bottom right of the picture) I am planning on putting my 20 or so 20 long tanks.
mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by mikedmatthews »

nice!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

You are officially MAD :-D ! Nice that you have a plan though, keep us updated please :-)
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Sigh....I guess since others have gone before...

my Name is Bill and I have...um....perhaps a small problem :lol:

So Far

Cheers, Bill