my first go on RCS

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

HellRaizer
Egg
Egg

my first go on RCS

Post by HellRaizer »

hallo people, im yet another newby
a few months back i needed to set up a 3 foot for plant cuttings, and ended up making it a planted tank, just like my 4 foot, both being natural setups done to the tee like described by Diana Walstad in her wonderful book "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium"
anyway, about a week after it was set up i got the opportunity to get 9 cherry shrimps at a bargain, but the 3 foot was the only fishless setup, so they all went in there
and so far in the past 3 months they have adapted nicely to theyr new environment, and breeding like they are being payd to do so!
im also attaching a series of pictures that i took last night and this morning

some shots of adult and young shrimps

and finally a shot of a few days old shrimpy, next to a ruler showing its size in millimeters, he is on the right between the 11 and 13mm mark

well, thats my introduction on this great site
so far im reading non stop in my spare time, have gone through all the articles, and on page 4 of the postings of the forum, still a long way from page 48... but im sure ill get there before christmas

J
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Welcome and thanks for the great pictures of your RCS :D I see you have some nice java fern but what type of substrate are you using? I noticed you don't have air running through that sponge filter in your picture.
so far im reading non stop in my spare time, have gone through all the articles, and on page 4 of the postings of the forum, still a long way from page 48... but im sure ill get there before christmas
Happy reading :wink:
Last edited by Neonshrimp on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shroob
Egg
Egg

Post by Shroob »

Might be abit off topic, but did you get the shrimp as adults or babies?
ps. very nice shrimps you got there.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

Shroob wrote: ps. very nice shrimps you got there.
I agree. Your mature female is quite good looking.

Welcome aboard :) You are doing the right thing by reading as much as possible. Most of my questions have been able to be answered by reading old threads and using the Search function.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

HellRaiser

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

It looks like your new shrimp have adapted very well to there new home.

Please keep us informed on your progress.

John
HellRaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by HellRaizer »

Thanks for all the great replies, makes me real proud to have them in my tank :D
@ Neonshrimp
The substrate is made up of two layers, the first is a 4cm deep mix of silt clay, organic compost and dolimitic lime, and the second layers is a mix of medium and fine crushed silica, crushed coral sand and some small river pebbles inbetween
The sponge you see is the result of a intake stem modification i did on my hang on filter, it still filters the same amount of water as i did before, but not even a cyclops can get sucked into it

@ Shroob
I got the first 9 shrimps when they were about 1cm long, so i couldnt tell what gender they were making it a bit of a gamble, but luckaly it turned out to be 3 males and 6 females

@ Baby_Girl
I certainly will be reading abolutely everything i can here, this forum is the one stop information shop ive been looking for regarding shrimp, and no amount of books can be even nearly as good as practical experience advice from fellow bobbyests who have kept and bread the shrimps you want to keep

@ Newjohn
Thanks, i already feel very welcome here
i will be keeping a photo diary on the shrimp progress, and definately post an update as soon as the babies get nice coloration

My one friend aquired 6 Amano's last week, so hopefully soon we will do some combined effort to get them to breed
HellRaizer
Egg
Egg

Re: my first go on RCS

Post by HellRaizer »

just a bit of an update
from the original 9 i got i have a few thousand now... ive got two colonies, the original still in the 100L tank, and a second in a 50L tank... ive also to date given away aproximately 800 plus to various friends who found them interesting and set up a shrimp only tank to accomodate them
a funny anomaly hs occured though..
normaly the males have a clear background with light red stripes in them, but recenly have have noted a few that have a light orange tint background with the light red stripes... they do look cool though
ive also aquired 300 crystal reds just over two months ago and placed them in a 50L tank that was established 6 months prior to their arrival... in the past two weeks ive seen around 40 females berryd up, and some looking close to giving birth, so pretty soon they will also have a population explosion and warrant another bigger tank to split the poplulation
till later then
J
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

just a bit of an update
from the original 9 i got i have a few thousand now...
Hi J, thanks for the latest update. Wow, that is alot of CRS but I am sure that is what can happen if they have enough space and resources. Sharing the shrimp with your friends is a great way to introduce them to the shrimp world, way to go :!:

Take care and please keep the updates coming :-D
HellRaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by HellRaizer »

i have also been heavily feeding them on a regular basis, seeing as they are in planted tanks... the only effects this has had was underwater jungles that need gd trimming every 2 weeks, in the past 10 months these tanks (the 100L and two 50L tanks) have produced enough plant cuttings to set up 5 4foot, 5 3foot and various smaller tanks for my friends
and the prestine water conditions through plant filtration and supplimental feeding is keeping the shrimps breeding like little machines! LOL
will try get a good quality camera from someone to take a new photoshoot to update with, cant afford a new camra since ive started a marine tank and went into a bit of coral propagation too now, so my whole hobby is growing steadily, 7 tropical freshwater and 2 marine tanks to date....
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Wow, that is alot of plants as well as shrimp :shock: I look forward to updates and a picture of your monster shrimp tanks :-D
will try get a good quality camera from someone to take a new photoshoot to update with, cant afford a new camra since ive started a marine tank and went into a bit of coral propagation too now, so my whole hobby is growing steadily, 7 tropical freshwater and 2 marine tanks to date....
I know what you mean I have had to forego getting a decent camera for the same reasons, setting up new tanks :roll: