Update on my shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Update on my shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

The bumble bees and tigers seem to be doing well. I am seeing babies of different ages of both and they are all very active. The ph is staying around 6.8 and I am using a mixture of ro water and well water. I have placed a small fan on the shelf with the bumble bees and the tigers to try and keep them cooler this summer.

I have a pair of sri lanka shrimp left. The female is berried and I hope the babies will survive this time. They now have their own 10 gallon tank.

The white banded are still doing ok, but the babies I had are still to little for me to tell if one is a male. I am seeing cherry babies as well. I have a few of the other shrimp that seem to be cropping up that also have a line down their back. I have been searching for information on them, but there doesn't seem to be anything much yet. They came in with the white banded I have and seem to vary in color.

I have set up a small rack for shrimp and storage. I have 4 10 gallons and a 20 gallon. If I manage to get a large colony of a single species maybe I could put some back in the 80 gallon. The only other inhabitants of the shrimp tanks are some mystery snails.

:smt006 :smt006
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Update on my shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

Sounds like you have everything well in hand. One thing to keep in mind, with a fan blowing, it will cause water evaporation to happen more quickly. So, you'll need to pay close attention to the pH, GH & KH in the affected tanks. It should be easy to keep under control, just make sure that when you add water (not change water) that you use RO only. Use your normal ratio of well to RO water that you normally use when you do a water change.

Good Luck!
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

adimeatatime

It is good to hear that your Shrimp are making a come back.

Good Luck
This Summer
John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update. I hope this time it works out with your Sri Lanka dwarf shrimp! :smt023
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Thanks everyone!!! Advice is always appreciated.

I like all of my shrimp and it is rewarding when they are doing well and heartbreaking when they don't.

The Sri Lanka female is looking good. Hope I have the water to the liking of the little ones when they hatch. It is much easier to keep track of her in the smaller tank. I would love to hear how your shrimp are doing.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It should be easy to keep under control, just make sure that when you add water (not change water) that you use RO only. Use your normal ratio of well to RO water that you normally use when you do a water change.
Good advice and worth reading again.
It is much easier to keep track of her in the smaller tank.
So true, there are many more hiding places in a larger tank. They always seem to come out for food though :D
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Neonshrimp wrote:
It should be easy to keep under control, just make sure that when you add water (not change water) that you use RO only. Use your normal ratio of well to RO water that you normally use when you do a water change.
Good advice and worth reading again.
It is much easier to keep track of her in the smaller tank.
So true, there are many more hiding places in a larger tank. They always seem to come out for food though :D
The amount of knowledge on this forum and the willingness to share accurate information is greatly appreciated!!!! I have spent hours going back over threads trying to get a handle on keeping dwarf shrimp and identifying the ones I have gotten that didn't come in as the species expected.

It is true that they love to eat :lol:, BUT I am so completely hooked on watching them that I have enjoyed having them in a smaller area. I am going to keep my 80 gallon (I have seen a few babies still in there. Sri Lanka's I think) going and hopefully will be able to place more shrimp back in it once I get some established colonies.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks again for your update. Wow, an 80g tank for shrimp :o Keep the babies healthy and growing so the tank gets filled with more shrimp :wink:
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Neonshrimp wrote:Thanks again for your update. Wow, an 80g tank for shrimp :o Keep the babies healthy and growing so the tank gets filled with more shrimp :wink:
Wouldn't that be an awesome site to see a large colony in a tank that big!!! :-D I have kept various types of fish for about 15 years and have a couple of large tanks. After reading the information on this site I have modified the way I manage one of them to try and keep shrimp. The only fish in it now are twig catfish who just hatched about 30 babies. I tried buying quite a few shrimp at a time to get a large colony going, but seemed like I just couldn't make it work right. Things seem to be coming together now for some of the species and hopefully I will be able to have a few more as my experience level rises. I am completely hooked on the shrimp and I would like to keep some of the more rare species regardless of what color they are.. :lol: Thanks for all of your encouragement. It has helped during the learning curve I have had (I realize as well that I have much to learn).
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Thanks for the updates! I came to this site about a year ago and it has helped me to be very successful at keeping most species of shrimp I now have (still having issues with Dark Maroon). The folks here will always give straight forward no BS advise when prompted...

Looking forward to hearing how the Sri Lanka do for you as I have my eye on those right now.

Bill