Macrobrachium idella

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

BiffMalawi
Larva
Larva

Macrobrachium idella

Post by BiffMalawi »

Does anyone know anything about these shrimp.

They are also called "Sunset Shrimp"

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Macrobrachium idella

Post by Mustafa »

Your question cannot be answered since you are asking about a shrimp that is offered on a website that sells imported shrimp (I can tell by the picture). *Any* website selling imported shrimp either uses the pseudoscientific names provided to them by their wholesaler or makes up "scientific" names on the fly. "Common" names are also made up on the fly. So, any given website can call the same shrimp by different names, and, to top it off, many suppliers actually send you different shrimp under the same "common" or "(pseudo)scientific" name (some websites are notorious for that).

In other words, it's impossible to tell you what that shrimp is given the information.
BiffMalawi
Larva
Larva

Post by BiffMalawi »

Fair enough.

I wanted to learn abit about them before purchasing them, but your point was well taken and I think I will pass on them and pick up some red claw macros instead.

Thanks.
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

:?
*Any* website selling imported shrimp either uses the pseudoscientific names provided to them by their wholesaler or makes up "scientific" names on the fly.
Well, that's interesting! As a hobbyist how do I know what species I'll be getting? Is there a web site that's good for shrimp I.D.? Or is it just a few unreputable websites that are doing this?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Guba wrote:Well, that's interesting! As a hobbyist how do I know what species I'll be getting? Is there a web site that's good for shrimp I.D.? Or is it just a few unreputable websites that are doing this?
I hope this is a joke....How about Petshrimp.com? I hear it's a pretty good website for everything shrimp related (and more) and this guy Mustafa in the forum seems to have something to say about any shrimp picture posted there...but I may be wrong. :roll: If you read carefully above you'll see that I am talking about websites or people online *selling* imported shrimp. Why would you want to use any of those websites or people for shrimp ID? Makes no sense at all.

And no...in many cases you won't know what species you'll be getting unless you are sent a clear picture of the shrimp you are buying from the seller (and the shrimp is already known to the hobby of course).
mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by mikedmatthews »

he's got a point there. buddy of mine ordered something that had the picture of a sulawese shrimp, was called a black diamond, and what she got in the mail was a low grade bee. i walked into a pretty decent shop last week where they had 8 varieties listed. three of them were cherries with different names, the tigers and amanos were right, but the rest were incorrectly identifeid. their excuse "that's what they came in as".
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

BiffMalawi,

Did you go ahead and purchase some of the 'sunset shrimp'? If you did, I'd be interested to see pictures of what they turned out to be.
BiffMalawi
Larva
Larva

Post by BiffMalawi »

No I never got them. The company just refunded my money without explaination. I figured that it was just as well. Got some Red Claws instead.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

Red Claws are fun. I've had them for a while now. I have one tank where I'm trying to teach the alpha male some tricks. He eats from my hand, without any problems. I think I've uploaded some pictures of mine to the user gallery here.