Shrimp update

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Shrimp update

Post by adimeatatime »

Seems like everyone is really busy this summer. Thought I would take a few minutes and update how my shrimp are doing. I would love to hear how everyone else's shrimp are doing as well. I faithfully do my tank maintenance on all my shrimp tanks and hope that I will get the hang of shrimp keeping.

I still have the berried female and a male Sri Lanka, PLUS I found a couple of young ones. :D They seem to like the tank they are in and I'm hoping when this new batch is born, the survival rate will be higher.

The dark headed bumblebee babies are doing well. Most of the adults (I had 6) I started with have died, but Mustafah has said many times about receiving adult shrimp, there is no way to know how old they were. Since I have various sizes of babies I'm hoping the young will be continue to do well (I think around 30). Not great survival rate, but I hope survival will get better.

The tigers are doing well and I'm seeing tiny babies in the tank.

I have some (10 or so) white headed bumblebees now. None of them are berried yet, but are showing some beautiful coloring.

The white banded shrimp are doing ok. The young I have are still too small for me to tell if they are male or female or are even white banded or one of the other varieties that are imported with the white banded. I have another tank with the other shrimp in it and if any are them I will move them as soon as I determine they are not white banded. I hope to be able to get a colony of them established as well.

Golden eye blue tigers (20) are doing well and I saw the first berried female last night. She is a blond colored one, but still very exciting for me.

I hope to get the survival rates up on all of my shrimp. I had no idea when I started keeping the tigers what was to follow or what a challenge it was going to be.

Hope everyone's summer is going well.

edited to ad #'s of shrimp
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Shrimp update

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the updates, it sound like you are having more positive than not results :D You are right about some of use being more busy this summer, someone has to pick up the slack when others go on vacation :roll: I am still doing my best to care for my little shrimp especially with the summer heatwaves :smt004 I am happy to report that all of my colonies are doing well and actually reproducing. I might need one or two more tanks in the not too distant future :o Thankfully I have my fans (from Home Depot and Walmart) programed for the daytime to help with the heat and it has been working well. I hope the rest of you are able to keep your pets happy and have good news to report. Take care :-) .
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Hi neonshrimp,

Thanks for the update on your guys. What species do you keep? I'm sure it has been posted, but am not sure how to find the post.

Pat
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sorry but I have been out of town on vacation for a while and did not see the post until today. I have had red cherry shrimp, yellow shrimp, blue shrimp and snowball shrimp for a while now and the colonies are doing well as mentioned earlier I have also started tanks I call the "Striped" tanks which houses Crystal red and black shrimp and White head bumble bees. There have been recent sightings of babies of Crystal reds and Bumblebees in the "Striped" tanks :o I also have amano shrimp and tiger shrimp in some of these tanks.

I find this hobby to be very relaxing and fun and enjoy spending time caring for and admiring my shrimp :-D Any one else want to share :D ?
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Neonshrimp wrote: I find this hobby to be very relaxing and fun and enjoy spending time caring for and admiring my shrimp :-D Any one else want to share :D ?
That's great that you are seeing babies. I hunt for them almost every day. :lol: The white headed bumblebees are really pretty.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Hi Richard,

Good to see you are still out there! Your "Blue" shrimp are they Neocaridina? breeding true?

Bill
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Bill,

Yes I am still here :) The blue shrimp I have are the pearl blue shrimp (Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis var. blue) not the dark blue/black shrimp. They do breed true but are light blue in color.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

OK and I should have been more specific and as usual I am still fascinated by just how in the heck supposed N heteropoda "blue" keep showing up for sale (per seller description). As well as Green now (not wild type) and as always curious as to origin of actual color since none seem to actually breed true...natural..or dyed. Actual species is also in question I am sure..... Remember the young man from China with wild caught blue Neocaridina sp. that lost their color after removal from their natural environment? Ah curiosity... :roll:

Cheers, Bill
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Well, I lost my female sri lanka the other day. :cry: The good news though is I am starting to see small shrimp out and about, so maybe they will make it and get my colony of these guys going. They are in a tank all to themselves so I am hopeful. I just hate it that I have lost so many shrimp due to my inexperience. I am really working on getting it right. :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Sorry to read that. :( But (!!), the fact that you see young crawling around is a good sign (of course). You may have more in there than you think as the young of this species live very hidden at first, unlike, for example, red cherry shrimp young. Then, all of a sudden, you see tons of pretty developed, larger young crawling around. Let's hope that's what will happen in your case. Good luck!
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

I hope that is the case here as I really enjoy these shrimp. I will post more when I can determine how many there are in this tank. It has lots of moss, so it's hard to tell and I stay out of the tank except to do maintenance and feed.

How are your Sri Lanka's doing?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Mine are doing great now. I was building up their numbers again to be able to start offering them in larger quantities. There are tons of ovigerous females all the time and I see quite a few very developed young crawling around. They should be "ripe for the picking" soon. :)
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Sri Lanka shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

I've seen around 2 dozen of the little Sri Lanka that I could count. The tank they live in is full of moss and they are pretty good at "fleeing" to safety anytime I try to look at them. Sometimes after lights are out I use a flashlight to try to see how many sets of shinning eyes I can see. :D Most of my shrimp have gotten used to the light and just continue with whatever they are doing.

Is anyone else keeping these shrimp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome! :) Let's hope these youngsters grow up soon to produce some more offspring so you can establish a nice colony. As for others keeping these guys...you and one or two others who got these shrimp from me in the last few years may actually be the only ones in all of north america that have this shrimp. That situation should change soon though as I make more of these guys available soon.