New Shrimp but stuck on I.D.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

geordie john
Egg
Egg

New Shrimp but stuck on I.D.

Post by geordie john »

Hi ,
I have just bought 8 shrimp which look like a type of C. japonica they were labled Chameleon shrimp but they took my eye as there was only one male in the tank , all the females were berried and there were young shrimp swimming and walking about . The eggs are tiny and all 7 of my females have kept them during the transitional period of purchasing them then getting them home via motorbike.
I would be pleased if any one could tell me what6 species they actualy are .
Thank you,
John W.
4pm update ,There is a cloud of babies now flowing through the water and attacked to the front !!
Attachments
100_3139JWa.jpg
100_3139JWa.jpg (113.85 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
geordie john
Egg
Egg

Re: New Shrimp but stuck on I.D.

Post by geordie john »

These are the young shrimp on my glass they seem to stay there for a minute or so then swim / drift off !!
Advice welcome please .
Attachments
100_3155JMW.jpg
100_3155JMW.jpg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Amano shrimp = Caridina japonica. See Shrimp Varieties section.
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi Mustafa!

Mustafa wrote:Amano shrimp = Caridina japonica.
:?:

Why don´t Caridina multidentata?

Cheers
Werner
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hello Werner,

Because, as far as I know, that revision has not been confirmed yet by any other scientist. Or has it? Please, correct me if I am wrong. Has there been another scientific paper actually using the name "C. multidentata" in the meantime? As with Neocaridina denticulata sinensis (= Neocaridina heteropoda) I am just going to "wait-and-see" until there is some kind of confirmation. Also, although usually a senior synonym has precedence over a junior synonym when it comes to naming a species, that's not always the case. If a name has been used so extensively for so many years that most of the scientific world has come to recognize and write about an animal under the junior synonym, then the junior synonym can take precedence over a senior synonym. That's unlikely to happen in the shrimp world (as shrimp have not been the subject of *that* many papers), but I thought I'd mention it.
wklotz wrote:Hi Mustafa!

Mustafa wrote:Amano shrimp = Caridina japonica.
:?:

Why don´t Caridina multidentata?

Cheers
Werner
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi Mustafa!

Because, as far as I know, that revision has not been confirmed yet by any other scientist. Or has it? Please, correct me if I am wrong. Has there been another scientific paper actually using the name "C. multidentata" in the meantime?
The name C. multidentata was just used in a few scientific papers since the revision:
Cai & Shokita (2006) Atyid shrimps (Crustacea: Decapoda: Caridea) of the Ryukyu Islands, southern Japan, with descriptions of two new species. Journal of Natural History, 2006; 40(38–40): 2123–2172

Klotz, W., Karge, A. & von Rintelen, K. (2007). A redescription of two atyid shrimps (Decapoda, Caridina) from Central Sulawesi, Indonesia. Zootaxa 1466: 1-10.

von Rintelen, K., Karge, A. & Klotz, W. (2008). News from a small island- first record of a freshwater shrimp (Decapoda, Atyidae, Caridina) from Peleng, Banggai Islands, Indonesia. The Journal of Natural History, in press.

There are not so much scientists working on atyid shrimp taxonomy this days ;-)
By this in most cases it´s a good deal to "wait-and-see", you are right but on my opinion the synonymy of C. multidentata and C. japonica seem to be correct.
If a name has been used so extensively for so many years that most of the scientific world has come to recognize and write about an animal under the junior synonym, then the junior synonym can take precedence over a senior synonym.

Yes, but such a procedure has to be resiolved by the ICZN commission, not by a single or a group of taxonomists. A good example for this procedure we can see in the case of M. rosenbergii.

Cheers
Werner
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks Werner. :) I'll change the name to C. multidentata in their species description. I'm still hesitant about N. heterepoda, though.
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi!
Mustafa wrote: I'm still hesitant about N. heterepoda, though.
Do you already know the recent (December 2007)paper on taiwanese Neocaridina from Shih and Cai in which the problem about N. denticulata sinensis / heteropoda is dicussed?

Cheers
Werner
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Werner,

Yeah, I read it a few months ago. If I remember correctly that was one of the reasons why I am hesitant about doing any changes to any of the Neocaridina spp.. I want to scientists to sort it all out first. I'll go read it again to refresh my memory.
wklotz wrote:Hi!
Mustafa wrote: I'm still hesitant about N. heterepoda, though.
Do you already know the recent (December 2007)paper on taiwanese Neocaridina from Shih and Cai in which the problem about N. denticulata sinensis / heteropoda is dicussed?

Cheers
Werner
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

Geordie John, just in case you weren't already aware, the survival rate of all those larvae in freshwater will be 0%
If you want to try and raise them, you'll have to set up a brackish tank for them.