need help with leaves formy shrimps

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

aram-amin
Egg
Egg

need help with leaves formy shrimps

Post by aram-amin »

hi
im new here and i did read the rules^^
my english is a little bad sry for that:(

i got some cherry red shrimps, and they eat algea and shrimp food and they are healthy...
i wanted to give them tree leaf, i read here in this forum that leaf have micro organsim that its good for shrimps...

i did a search about leaf, but i didnt find grapes leaf, we have a grapes tree and i wonder if its good for my shrimps and if anyone have tested it before.
i wold thank you for tip and new leaf names:)

thx
Aram
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: need help with leaves formy shrimps

Post by Mustafa »

I don't think anyone has used grape leaves here, but generally you want to use leaves that decay very slowly to avoid bacterial blooms. I'm pretty sure grape leaves decay very quickly.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

If you do try to use the grape leaves, as with all types of leaves, make sure they are dried (brown and crunchy) before soaking them and adding them to the tank. Let us know how it works out for you.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

I don't know if this is related, but a friend of mine had a colony of RCS going for a year or so. He wanted to add more material for plant matter to grow in, so he purchased some 'wood'. He boiled it and put it in the tank. After a few weeks he noticed that shrimp were slowly dieing off. Water changes did not seem to help, on their own. We talked, and subsequently removed the wood and did a few more water changes.

The wood turned out to be grapevine. I don't know if there was anything toxic in the wood (left over pesticides/fertilizers), or if the wood itself was, but it was definitely the source of his problem.

I'd recommend using caution, not just dumping a few soaked leaves. Perhaps do a water change or two, and keep the water in a tub/bucket. Then, add a presoaked leaf to your tank and watch the shrimp closely. If you even suspect something is wrong, remove the leaf, and do a water change. Replace the removed water with the water you had saved.

Good luck!
aram-amin
Egg
Egg

Post by aram-amin »

thank you very much:)
after some search on google, i found out that catappa leaves or almond leaves is very good too...
so im not gonna use grapes leaves:) i tasted the leaf and it was acidly, so grapes leaves is not good for shrimps... thank you for all nice comments:)

and one moore thing :D, 5 of my red cherry shrimps have eggs:)
im gonna post some pictures when i get time:)

thanks!