How much zeolite in the filter? How much is safe?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jcem2989
Egg
Egg

How much zeolite in the filter? How much is safe?

Post by jcem2989 »

Hi, I am Janssen (username: jcem2989) here and I am new to RCS & Malayan shrimp raising. Hope someone would help me.
* I would just like to know if there are measurements (amount) of zeolite to be placed into the filter? Are there such measurement for zeolite? Example like maybe per grammage = certain liters of water? Or any amount would do and it would not harm the RCS? Slightly confused here. But I did go ahead to add a little of the zeolite to my water filter and it buffered my PH 6.0 to PH 6.4 (after adding in zeolite) and my ammonia level from 0.5 ppm to 0 ppm (which is good news to me). My nitrate from 20ppm to 10 ppm. I am doing a 10% - 15% water change daily and weekly 40%.
* by adding zeolite to my filters and the sudden change of PH level would the shrimps get ph shock and die suddenly?
* With these readings how often should I change the water? Daily or weekly better and at how many percentage?
* My first aquarium size is only 12inches (Width) x 8 inches (Depth) and water level height is only at 9 inches. I am now cycling another slightly bigger tank which is at 18 inches (Width) x 8 inches (Height) x 5.5 inches water height (minus the gravel height). Presently I have around 10 RCS and 10 Malayan shrimps in my first tank.

Please help out and thanks for those that and would reply to my anxiety.

Thank you all

Regards

Janssen :D
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: How much zeolite in the filter? How much is safe?

Post by Guba »

#1, shrimp (and all inverts) should only be kept in a WELL CYCLED tank, no matter what the size. #2 a well cycled tank doesn't need zeolite (at least to my knowledge). #3...you just aren't going to enjoy the hobby until you have a cycled tank (maybe 4 weeks) :( .
jcem2989
Egg
Egg

Post by jcem2989 »

Dear Guba, what you say makes sense...thanks for the advice...will try that on my second tank which is in cycling for 1+ week now and would leave it for another 3 weeks or so. During cycling should we change some of the water and how often? So, what shrimps are you having now?

Thanks for your reply appreciate it

Janssen :D
NetsuaiAngel
Egg
Egg

Post by NetsuaiAngel »

Hi Janssen,

Here is a link to a nice article on the cycle process of a tank:

http://www.fishaholics.org/articles.php?ArtId=12

It took me about 6-8 weeks to properly cycle my 50g uniquarium. A safe cycle involves no fish and no inverts - it takes longer but better than to expose anything to the ammonia spikes that occurs during a cycle process. I did my cycle just by adding flake food into the water every two days and adding dechlorinated water when needed. The water will go from clear, to smoky white, and then back to clear. If you have a freshwater test kit, you can chart the progress. Usually after the smoky white water phase and it goes back to clear - the bacteria colonies have been established and you can test the water parameters to be sure before adding any live stock into the tank.

-Angela
jcem2989
Egg
Egg

Post by jcem2989 »

Hi Angela, thanks for the article, will definitely give it a try for my third tank. So...what are the type of shrimps that you are raising in your tank? Any photos of it? Would love to take a look at it if possible.

Thanks again

Janssen