mixing shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

janbee
Egg
Egg

mixing shrimp

Post by janbee »

I have a tank of cherry red shrimp. I will be getting a few crystal red and a couple of green shrimp. From the search forum, I read you can mix the cherries and crystal shrimp. However, I wonder if the green shrimp will be a problem. Should I have a separate tank for them, or will the one tank do? I'd like to at some point create a display tank of various freshwater shrimp. However, I don't want to end up with alot of brown shrimp. I will have to mix my varieties carefully! Jan
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: mixing shrimp

Post by Neonshrimp »

I will have to mix my varieties carefully!
This is a must for all responsible hobbyist. You are right in that the cherry red shrimp will not interbreed with the crystal red shrimp. With the green shrimp you will have to find out the exact type of shrimp you have before knowing if they can mix. The shrimp variety page will help you ID them and learn about the water parameters they need.
janbee
Egg
Egg

Post by janbee »

Thankyou for your reply. Am I correct in assuming that the rule of thumb is do not mix shrimpwithin shrimp species? Jan
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Your welcome,

For the most part this is the rule. There is a nice compatibility chart I found, I will send it to you :-)