Vampire Shrimp newbie

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Michael
Egg
Egg

Vampire Shrimp newbie

Post by Michael »

Hi all,

I'm a newbie when it comes to shrimp. I've kept a few glass shrimp in the past, but only as part of a cleanup crew and never as the main display/species.

I'm thinking of keeping a vampire shrimp with a few cherry shrimps and otocinclius(sp) in a heavily planted 6 gallon tank. I understand that this may be crowded, but i'm hoping that the sheer number of plants will provide adequate filtration and cover for the inabitants.

However, I'm not quite sure how much feeding the vampire shrimp would need. For instance, if they require a constant supply of food in the water column, i.e. very cloudy water, I definitely wouldn't be housing them in a 6 gallon. I plan on feeding it Hikari first bites, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear it :)

Thanks!!
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

welcome Michael. unfortunately, i have no exp with vampire shrimp. i'm sure someone else can help you, tho. but, as i'm sure everyone on this forum will agree, shrimp are amazing creatures and fun to watch! good luck with ur vampires.

-r
Michael
Egg
Egg

Post by Michael »

thanks retardo, I appreciate the encouragement. Any words from vampire shrimp owners? Please chime in if you can, thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I would recommend against keeping Atya species (such as the "Vampire Shrimp") in anything less than at least a 20 gallon. These shrimp get to be 5-7 inches long and very bulky when fully grown. A 6 gallon is just too small. Also, they need pretty heavy water circulation in the tank so they can actually filter microorganisms and micro-debris out of the water. This can hardly be done in a 6 gallon.

Mustafa
Michael
Egg
Egg

Post by Michael »

Aye, 7 inches, I must've missed that. That would indeed be way too large for a 6 gallon. Thanks for the info :).
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

Please excuse my ignorance but what is "Vampire Shrimp"? A picture, if available is much appreciated.

Thanks and cheers,

KG
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

kimco wrote:Please excuse my ignorance but what is "Vampire Shrimp"? A picture, if available is much appreciated.
Atya gabonensis, check out the "Shrimp varieties" link on this site :)