Will Stumpy Live?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Rmanpf
Egg
Egg

Will Stumpy Live?

Post by Rmanpf »

I recently bought ten ghost shrimp from my lfs and a noticed a few had missing lims and i was not worried because i know when they molt they will grow back. But one of my partially berried females has six or seven little red stumps on one side of her body. She has managed to keep her front arms but i am concerned that she wont live. She is pretty large, maybe an inch and a bit and i am wondering how long will it take her to grow back her limbs?

also how long does it take a ghost shrimp to hatch the eggs?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Will Stumpy Live?

Post by Neonshrimp »

The sad truth is that Ghost Shrimp are usually haddled and treated poorly before the moment they are shipped to the mement you buy them in the fish shop. They are considered the lower end shrimp since they are oftern used as feeders and are sold at such a low price. I think your shrimp are showing the physical proof of this :( A shrimp will molt when they are feeding and growing or when there is a change of water conditions for the better, this is what I have observed. I hope your shrimp will make it and they will recover from the stress that they and most Ghost shrimp go through.

I don't keep these shrimp myself because it is difficult for me to find them in good shape anywhere in my area. I would do a search on Ghost shrimp/breeding/raising for more information on egg gestation and care.